England : Lancashire ColinJ's 103 km or 107 mile 'Back from the Dead' forum ride Sat 29/03/14

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Didnt manage to get out to test the bike yesterday, so I went for 32 mile ride at 6:30am :rolleyes:

The gears are slipping but I suspect it is because I swapped my wheels for my summer ones and the hubs seem to be slightly off set so I will swap them back to the winter wheels later and try again.

If anyone from the south is wondering what the weather is like up this neck of the woods I can report that it is bloody freezing, not freezing enough for ice but very cold I was in full winter clothing this morning and my feet were still cold so bring and assortment of clothes just in case :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I reckon we will feel the chill at 10:00. Those starting from Hebden Bridge at 08:00, especially so because the valleys are slow to warm up.

It is forecast to get a lot milder later on, but the easterly wind will probably stop it feeling quite as warm as it is.

Layers! Wear some extra kit which you can easily take off, like arm and leg warmers. You will probably keep it on all day, but it is nice to have the option to take it off. I don't think a heavy duty winter jacket would be a good idea because you might get too warm wearing it, but too cold if you took it off, and it would be bulky to carry if you did.

My toes got cold on my ride yesterday. I don't think I will want to wear my heavy neoprene overshoes so I might just put some duct tape over the front of my shoes to keep the wind out! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The parking is free and there are no gates on the car park so you can't get locked in if you are late back. (Surely, nobody will actually get back after dark though!) There are lots of spaces so you should be okay.

If for some reason a horde of visitors beat you to it and nab the last of the spaces, just drive across the lights and drop down the hill towards Whalley a bit. Cars are always parked in the lower section so there can't be yellow lines there.

Ooh, Garmin - I need to recharge my batteries and upload the file to mine. It would be embarrassing turning up ignorant of my own route! I think I could get us to the cafe and back from Inglewhite, but the bit between Five Lane Ends and Inglewhite would be easy to get wrong without help.

phil_hg_uk

The parking is free and there are no gates on the car park so you can't get locked in if you are late back. (Surely, nobody will actually get back after dark though!) There are lots of spaces so you should be okay.

If for some reason a horde of visitors beat you to it and nab the last of the spaces, just drive across the lights and drop down the hill towards Whalley a bit. Cars are always parked in the lower section so there can't be yellow lines there.

Ooh, Garmin - I need to recharge my batteries and upload the file to mine. It would be embarrassing turning up ignorant of my own route! I think I could get us to the cafe and back from Inglewhite, but the bit between Five Lane Ends and Inglewhite would be easy to get wrong without help.

Right I just need to get to the car park from here now :giggle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Right I just need to get to the car park from here now :giggle:
If all else fails, drive to Hebden Bridge and follow the A646 to Padiham. Turn left onto the A671 in Padiham and follow that through the town centre and on another few miles to Spring Wood. Having said that, you would probably be quicker heading towards Skipton and coming from that direction on the A59.

phil_hg_uk

If all else fails, drive to Hebden Bridge and follow the A646 to Padiham. Turn left onto the A671 in Padiham and follow that through the town centre and on another few miles to Spring Wood. Having said that, you would probably be quicker heading towards Skipton and coming from that direction.

Yes that is what I was going to do, I haven't had a good look at the map yet but I gathered it was in the general direction of Skipton.

phil_hg_uk

Just so everyone knows this is not how you park your bike.

Bjum3uuCQAAUEks.jpg

Hi Colin,

Just a note to say count me in as a definite participant (starting and finishing in Whalley).

Really looking forward to it and also renewing some old aquaintances.

Cheers

MikeW-71

Veteran
Just taken a 11 mile leg-loosener, feeling good for saturday. Clean and lube chain tommorrow, strip all the commute gubbins off and it's good to go :smile: :bicycle:

Top Bottom