Commonweath Games cycling (Track & Road) (Spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
Did anyone see an interview with Cav or Kennaugh after the race?

Ganymede

Veteran
Did anyone see an interview with Cav or Kennaugh after the race?
Saw this in today's Graun:

Kennaugh took the lead three kilometres into the 168km race and stayed out for 116km as the elements threw their worse at him. It will go down as the longest suicide move in Commonwealth Games cycling history. Watching it unfold was his fellow Manxman Mark Cavendish, his directeur of sport for the day, although he was as confused as everyone else.

Kennaugh admitted: “He was just saying, ‘What are you doing?’ I thought someone would come with me. I knew I was going to get caught at some point; I didn’t think I’d stay out there as long as I did.”

OP
OP
HF2300

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I read another article which didn't say a lot but implied he kept thinking someone was going to come across to him. He was right, of course, they did eventually - and went straight past.

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Saw this in today's Graun:

Kennaugh took the lead three kilometres into the 168km race and stayed out for 116km as the elements threw their worse at him. It will go down as the longest suicide move in Commonwealth Games cycling history. Watching it unfold was his fellow Manxman Mark Cavendish, his directeur of sport for the day, although he was as confused as everyone else.

Kennaugh admitted: “He was just saying, ‘What are you doing?’ I thought someone would come with me. I knew I was going to get caught at some point; I didn’t think I’d stay out there as long as I did.”

I remember thinking when I saw the hand gestures coming from the car I could just imagine Cav saying "what the f**k are you doing ?" :giggle:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I read another article which didn't say a lot but implied he kept thinking someone was going to come across to him. He was right, of course, they did eventually - and went straight past.
I think we guessed he was trying to start a breakaway but when nobody joined him, he resorted to plan what-the-hell. Not much that I've seen suggests anything more convincing.

Slaav

Veteran
I think we guessed he was trying to start a breakaway but when nobody joined him, he resorted to plan what-the-hell. Not much that I've seen suggests anything more convincing.

To be fair, even he seems to have agreed with you!

Amazing insight..... (By 'big K') :smile:

Did anybody with blood in their veins think he would pull it off?

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Did anybody with blood in their veins think he would pull it off?

Only the numpty presenters on FiveLive, who clearly have never watched a bike race in their lives. Chris Boardman showed exemplary patience when dealing with their questions about Kennaugh's chances of winning.

To be fair, it was a no-win situation for Kennaugh. If he'd abandoned the attack, he would have looked a bit foolish, so better in some ways to go down in a blaze of glory.

Also, as Marmion says, it lit the race up good and proper and I'm sure was largely responsible for the low number of finishers. That and the weather.

Top Bottom