Communication breakdown...

Smileys:- Menace to mankind?

• No!! A post without a smiley is like a fried egg without ketchup

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Yes. Unless posts are in clear and unambiguous English I can't possibly read them.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • WTF?

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • LOL!

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
SheilaH said:
Well, I'm none the wiser. I've read the latest posts and the forum admin has appeared to answer his critics. He wanted to try an 'experiment' to see what effect the absence of smileys would have. A not unreasonable idea. Many forumers have objected to this... also not unreasonable. What I don't understand is why anyone would get so hot under the collar about as to upsticks and leave. It's hardly the end of the world. I'm left thinking that if 'Sam' is as cunning and controlling as some of you have reason to think, maybe it is a devious ploy on his part to deliberately flush out some of the deadwood :evil:

I did not get 'hot under the collar', I just rather not be subject to someone's arbitrary personal whims, that's all. If that's suits his aims, I really do not care. I have no emotional investment in the place. If you like to be part of the internet equivalent of Celebration, then fine. I prefer things to be a bit more open and honest.

SheilaH

We are just talking about smileys here Flying Monkey! Nothing else!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Rhythm Thief said:
For those of us who don't care about ACF and have no inside knowledge of the place, can someone please explain what happened over there to bring all this on?;)

I was very briefly a member of ACF. The key thing about it seems to me to be that this Sam bloke who runs it makes it very clear that he is the boss of it and it will be run according to his standards. You either accept that or don't and given that he is upfront about his intentions, it actually leaves those who dislike his style very little grounds for complaint. After about ten posts I just stopped using the place and then found that my account had been deleted anyway. No harm done and no hard feelings and I can't imagine myself ever going back there. This place is, IMO, more grown up, less twee and an awful lot funnier due to the characters who inhabit it.

Pete

Sam appears to have deleted himself from ACF ;):ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Will somebody tell us just wtf is going on???!!!

Anyway, Sheilah, it's not just about smileys. That was just the last straw for many people: it's been building up for months - years even. I left last July, for reasons nothing to do with smileys. Sam has regrettably made many enemies. I wish it were otherwise.

I don't really give a fig about smilies, though they do break up a block of text, like punctuation, and make it easier to understand the intention of the writer.

I do get annoyed by people meddling.

SheilaH

Chuffy, I assume you are another disgruntled member who has also had a falling out with sam. Still can't fathom the nature of these disagreements, but given the fact that several of you are clearly still deeply bothered (even 9 months after the fact, in Pete's case) it must have been bad.

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
SheilaH said:
Chuffy, I assume you are another disgruntled member who has also had a falling out with sam. Still can't fathom the nature of these disagreements, but given the fact that several of you are clearly still deeply bothered (even 9 months after the fact, in Pete's case) it must have been bad.
Dear god no. Not a member and was only ever one very, very briefly several years ago. As you have said, you don't know the history. For now, count me in as a wryly amused observer...;)

Pete

See also:
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=49531.0
and
http://www.anothercyclingforum.com/index.php?topic=49526.0
;):biggrin:

SheilaH

Why the interest in the goings on at acf then? There are clearly things I don't know about but I must admit the fascination, not to say gloating on this thread is a little weird.

(and I'll include myself in that since I'm posting about it too ;))

Pete

Speaking for myself, Sheilah, it's because I was a member of ACF for over two years, and clocked up nearly 3000 posts in that time, and even took a turn as a (sort of) moderator for a spell. It was the only cycling forum I was on for much of that time. I paid my subs and bought the jersey. And I've met many of the ACFers personally - for better or worse. Of course I've an interest in what's going on there.

Top Bottom