Commute to/from the new office today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Hated every bloody minute of it coming back.

If anyone can suggest a nice route from Southwark Bridge to Dulwich avoiding Walworth Road, Kings College Hospital and the Elephant and sodding Castle I'd be most grateful.

No, don't refer me to TFL's route planner, it's too convoluted and goes down little streets where I can expect to get knocked off by someone not looking when they open their car door.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your route is all but direct, so anything else will be longer.

My suggestion:

Left off Southwark Bridge Road into Marshalsea Road, cross Borough High Street into Great Dover Street.

Straight on into Old Kent Road, right turn at B215 Trafalgar Avenue, then Sumner Road to Peckham High Street.

From there you should be able to work your way to Dulwich, or at least East Dulwich, reasonably directly.

Others on here will know more about cycling conditions on my route, but at least it avoids the Elephant/Walworth Road.

OP
OP
Dec66

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
A2? Suicidal, no? That bit headed up to the big roundabout scares me in a car...

I actually don't think there's any reasonable route. I came down Southwark Bridge Road, the much vaunted CS7, and all I could think was "just how slippy does this blue paint look"? That, and the big concrete curb which gives the impression of squeezing a quart into a pint pot.

I might try nipping down past The Oval toward Brixton, then down Railton Road to Herne Hill.

The only bits I sort of enjoyed on the way back were going up Sydenham Hill past Dulwich College, and the gradual climb from Elmers End back home. The rest of it was utter cack, and puts me off cycling.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Kennington, the front line Brixton and Hernia Hill was the other alternative I could think of, but it looks to me it adds a lot of miles.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Putting those places into http://cycle.travel/map and hitting "Circular Route" gives two options: southbound is basically LCN Route 23, and northbound is Crystal Palace Road to Lyndhurst Way and then pick up LCNR 22. I don't know if either of those are the same as the TfL routes you disliked, though. Its routing in London can be a bit poor, such as it appearing determined to avoid CS7, which I think is because of the volume of motor traffic.

Top Bottom