Company makes a profit scandal!!!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As usual those who are too stupid or incapable to drive at the legal speed limit are bleating

The latest is that apparently the companies that run the Speed Awareness courses are ... making a profit

I suppose that as they were unable to connect the number on their speedometer with the ones on the road, the concept that companies SHOULD be making a profit is also too complex

So it is good for business.
That is the most important objective of all what we do and don't do in this country.

Drago

Legendary Member
In ANOther website I frequent people are bleating enough sneaky covert speed cameras that North Yorkshire Police are hiding up horses bottoms and under Nuns habits. If you don't want to pay a financial penalty, don't bloody speed.

And if you don't want speed awareness courses to be run at a loss then you can either not speed, or speed but take the fixed penalty.

I no more listen or care about speeding drivers moaning about being caught and punished than I do about shoplifterss moaning about being caught and punished. The courts impose victim surcharges, no one moans (except the criminals). It's too bloody right that speeding motorists should be paying for the privilege of being let-off, and not subsidised by the public purse.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just did a course this past week after getting caught over the limit in a 30 zone. Mine was useful and informative, certainly (a) more use than penalty points on the licence and (b) a helpful reminder to watch the speed, for me at least. Ever since I got the notice I've been a lot more careful! If there's a 'war on the motorist' it's not being fought hard enough, every day/night I get passed by people when on the limit...

winjim

Smash the cistern
I was caught speeding*, attended the course with an open mind, learned a lot and became a better driver as a result.

40 zone into a 30, overfamiliar with it so misjudged where it changed. Caught bang to rights by a mobile camera.

Tin Pot

Guru
I was caught speeding*, attended the course with an open mind, learned a lot and became a better driver as a result.

40 zone into a 30, overfamiliar with it so misjudged where it changed. Caught bang to rights by a mobile camera.

We could do with a few more signs around my way - a couple of roads most people think are 40 are 30 limits, just causes a bit of impatience as they don't know.

The only wildly dangerous I've seen is, guess what - young lads racing each other in hatchbacks. We get a few white vans not taking the hint from the 20 zones and chicanes, but otherwise driving is pretty good quality around here. I compare to Z1/Z2 London, so admittedly probably have a higher tolerance.

winjim

Smash the cistern
We could do with a few more signs around my way - a couple of roads most people think are 40 are 30 limits, just causes a bit of impatience as they don't know.
Do they have lamp posts? If so, they're your signs.

(I was taught that at speed awareness school.)

Tin Pot

Guru
Do they have lamp posts? If so, they're your signs.

(I was taught that at speed awareness school.)

That's how I clued up - but they're hidden in thick trees, the road(s) is much broader than the surrounding residentials, without pavement in parts and three lanes at one point.

Any kind of requirement for thought rules out drivers, so more signage is my prescription.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's how I clued up - but they're hidden in thick trees, the road(s) is much broader than the surrounding residentials, without pavement in parts and three lanes at one point.

Any kind of requirement for thought rules out drivers, so more signage is my prescription.
We have speed signs in place, just that some are under the legal size limit. Making the speed limit illegal.

It would help if speed limits where more obvious. It is ok saying there will be repeaters every xyz yards or if there are lamposts less than xyz yards apart, but imho if the limit was just signed every few hundred yards a lot fewer people would speed especially in areas they are unfamiliar with. Also I find the electric signs flashing your speed in Red or Green are a good reminder and stop a lot of 'accidental' speeding. Of course both of these are pro-active and cost money and are therefore not used, much easier to have motorists speeding and take a profit than try and make the roads safer.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Of course both of these are pro-active and cost money and are therefore not used, much easier to have motorists speeding and take a profit than try and make the roads safer.
Sort of. If the politicians spend the money on things like that and it results in tax increases, then they lose votes. Everyone seems to want money spent but not enough are willing to pay for things, as demonstrated time and again.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Btw, if in doubt, slow down to 30 until you check (if it's anything else than 30 or 60/70, it'll be signed). You might be doing less than the limit for a few yards :eek: but it's better than the alternative.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Sort of. If the politicians spend the money on things like that and it results in tax increases, then they lose votes. Everyone seems to want money spent but not enough are willing to pay for things, as demonstrated time and again.
Trouble is, a lot of people see speeding fines as a tax. :sad:

Top Bottom