Confused about weight loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Ahhh Jimbo half a month younger than me.I thought you were ancient ;) Happy birthday. What are you doing in the gym you old softie:biggrin:

davidg

known as the Captain Oates workout?!

AlanW

Guru
Garz said:
Nice change there Alan, a great achievement that!

How did you tangent off and become a cycle coach then mate?

Long story, but in summary, like most people I started to do the club '10's', then the club '25's'. Then moved onto to open events.

It was only a matter of time before I fancied having a crack at a '50'. To be honest I preferred the longer event, than the explosive short blast of the '10's'.

In order to win our BAR trophy I had to complete in a '100' as well. But I really needed some coaching advice, but I had no one to turn to? So I enrolled on the two year ABCC home study coaching course and completed it in just six months. I then become our club coach and also the coach for the local triathlon club.

I then went on to ride the '100' and won the BAR trophy. :eek:

But sadly it wasn't without some consequences. :rofl: To train to ride for a '100' of course you need to bang some real long rides in, I'm talking 140+ mile rides. But on occasions my left knee would be really sore and painful. But being a typical cyclist I carried on regardless and tried to "ride it out".

Also as part of the training, we decided to ride to Weston Super Mare and back in a day, that's a 190 mile round trip. Which was completed in under 12 hours.

Sadly this was the straw that broke the camels back and my left knee swelled up and locked straight as soon as we stopped on the sea front. :laugh: But then I had to ride back home again, and like a real prat I did, and guess what, it swelled up and locked up again when I got home. :laugh:

So what did I do....yep, rode another '100' the following week. :thumbsup:

But at 75 miles in and my left leg actually locked while I was riding and I fell from my bike. :ohmy:

Needless to say I had the operation just three days later. Sadly though, this was not the end as I had to have another operation a number of months later because the opposite started to happen? I could not straighten my leg? This was down to a small scar fold under the knee cap, left behind from the first operation.

Racing and me finished as I was told that I may not get a second chance with my knee. So after a 12 month break away from riding altogether I started again, but riding Audax events instead.

AlanW

Guru
Garz said:
Nice change there Alan, a great achievement that!

How did you tangent off and become a cycle coach then mate?

Long story, but in summary, like most people I started to do the club '10's', then the club '25's'. Then moved onto to open events.

It was only a matter of time before I fancied having a crack at a '50'. To be honest I preferred the longer event, than the explosive short blast of the '10's'.

In order to win our BAR trophy I had to complete in a '100' as well. But I really needed some coaching advice, but I had no one to turn to? So I enrolled on the two year ABCC home study coaching course and completed it in just six months. I then become our club coach and also the coach for the local triathlon club.

I then went on to ride the '100' and won the BAR trophy. :eek:

But sadly it wasn't without some consequences. :rofl: To train to ride for a '100' of course you need to bang some real long rides in, I'm talking 140+ mile rides. But on occasions my left knee would be really sore and painful. But being a typical cyclist I carried on regardless and tried to "ride it out".

Also as part of the training, we decided to ride to Weston Super Mare and back in a day, that's a 190 mile round trip. Which was completed in under 12 hours.

Sadly this was the straw that broke the camels back and my left knee swelled up and locked straight as soon as we stopped on the sea front. :laugh: But then I had to ride back home again, and like a real prat I did, and guess what, it swelled up and locked up again when I got home. :laugh:

So what did I do....yep, rode another '100' the following week. ;)

But at 75 miles in and my left leg actually locked while I was riding and I fell from my bike. :laugh:

Needless to say I had the operation just three days later. Sadly though, this was not the end as I had to have another operation a number of months later because the opposite started to happen? I could not straighten my leg? This was down to a small scar fold under the knee cap, left behind from the first operation.

Racing and me finished as I was told that I may not get a second chance with my knee. So after a 12 month break away from riding altogether I started again, but riding Audax events instead.

darkstar

lukesdad said:
Where do you want me start ? Firstly If you are only doing an hour session you will only be burning either your last meal or your glycogen level not fat reserve.

Secondly; " overloading anerobicly as you put it will only benefit your anerobic threshold. Overloading your aerobic system will put you into your anerobic system Re; above.

As I originally said prolonged efforts in an aerobic zone will be more beneficial as an aid to weight loss.

I think you are a little confused as to the benefits of training in a particular zone will bring.
I'm not confused. I suppose there are many views on this subject. As for an hours worth of exercise just burning off your last meal, that is rubbish. That basically states that any form of aerobic movement only helps with weight loss if it's completed over a long period of time...

When i ever go through a cutting period, i eat 5 times a day, all small portions. Interval sessions every other day. Jogging on the other days. Works extremely well.

darkstar

lukesdad said:
Where do you want me start ? Firstly If you are only doing an hour session you will only be burning either your last meal or your glycogen level not fat reserve.

Secondly; " overloading anerobicly as you put it will only benefit your anerobic threshold. Overloading your aerobic system will put you into your anerobic system Re; above.

As I originally said prolonged efforts in an aerobic zone will be more beneficial as an aid to weight loss.

I think you are a little confused as to the benefits of training in a particular zone will bring.
I'm not confused. I suppose there are many views on this subject. As for an hours worth of exercise just burning off your last meal, that is rubbish. That basically states that any form of aerobic movement only helps with weight loss if it's completed over a long period of time...

When i ever go through a cutting period, i eat 5 times a day, all small portions. Interval sessions every other day. Jogging on the other days. Works extremely well.

lukesdad

darkstar said:

Missing the point . It depends on time. i.e Lapse. & digestion time. I.e. content.

lukesdad

darkstar said:

Missing the point . It depends on time. i.e Lapse. & digestion time. I.e. content.

darkstar

lukesdad said:
Yes, but we re trying to help the OP.

I was trying to help! Interval training has worked wonders for me before, there are more and more people advising people to use it. Jeez...

darkstar

lukesdad said:
Yes, but we re trying to help the OP.

I was trying to help! Interval training has worked wonders for me before, there are more and more people advising people to use it. Jeez...

Top Bottom