conkers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bikie

Über Member
Does kids not play this anymore? I often take a detour through a local park and the ground is covered in them. I'm 38 and when I was at school they were picked up as soon as they hit the ground and tied on a lace. Are they all too busy with their mobiles and I'm older than I feel

Melvil

I think many schools ban them nowadays...

PaulB

Legendary Member
The Health and Safety nazis have done their best to take the fun out of childhood and they will be celebrating the fact they've ended kids' fascination with conkers.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
PaulB said:
The Health and Safety nazis have done their best to take the fun out of childhood and they will be celebrating the fact they've ended kids' fascination with conkers.

Sadly you are not wrong. My daughter (10) came home the other day and said they have all been told that they are not allowed to walk around with both hands in their pockets "in case they fall over"

The world has gone mad :angry:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
At the risk of sounding like an old fogey, school playtime was at its best when you could do things like:
-play conkers
-climb trees (we had trees at my secondary school... we used to climb them, obviously... teachers occasionaly told us to get down, but nobody really cared that much... can't remember anyone falling out)
- play British Bulldogs :angry:
-have 'bundles' for sweets (i.e. someone chucke d a sweet on the ground, and 20 kids fought tooth and nail to get it)
...ah, those were the days..... (fnaar zips cardigan up, smacks lips, drinks his horlicks and drifts off into reverie and gibbering)

gratts

I was still frantically collecting and playing them 8-10 years back :biggrin:
One teacher used to watch us play at breaktime and egg us on!!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I still like conkers. I always want to pick them up when I see I nice, shiny conker on the ground. I was most disappointed when I tried to teach my cousin to play conkers and all he wanted to do was play computer games.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Did you know the game of conkers was originally played with snail shells? (I bet they used to cheat and play with the snails still in them.)

jasper

I've been playing all week. As soon as I get in from work, the little ' un ambushes me for a game...getting a bit sick of it now, but my fault I suppose for teaching him. He hadn't a clue what I was on about when I told him to pick some up as we were walking in the park. None of his friends play it.

Top Bottom