Contador fails drug test

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
I don't want that to be true yello, but I've got to say it seems more plausible than anything else at the moment.

This is a funny place sometimes. I'm still relatively new here so I'm surprised by the fact that we're half way through the worlds and that thread has reached 6 pages, and this dope related news only broke this morning and we're on the same ammount. Seems like doping is more interesting than actual racing on here. :rolleyes:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I don't want that to be true yello, but I've got to say it seems more plausible than anything else at the moment.

This is a funny place sometimes. I'm still relatively new here so I'm surprised by the fact that we're half way through the worlds and that thread has reached 6 pages, and this dope related news only broke this morning and we're on the same ammount. Seems like doping is more interesting than actual racing on here. :rolleyes:
The TdF winner testing positive is bigger news than Cancellara winning the worlds TT, like it or not.

briank

I've just read of another interesting take on this, and one that could explain the low count. That is, the Contador did not take clenbuterol BUT it was present in the stored blood he'd transfused!

In short, the suggestion goes that he stored some of his re-oxygenated, EPO-ed blood before the tour. That blood also contained clenbuterol, as he would having being doint that too at the time. The clenbuterol decays but doesn't disappear. He infuses, or micro-doses, the stored blood and so re-introduces a small amount of clenbuterol!

Like a true gossip monger (and what are forums for if not to discuss speculation!), I have no idea if this is a credible or otherwise. But it's got to be as plausible as the meat story!

Indeed. Remember Landis.
Similar objections to his guilt were proposed. ie no possible benefit from the drug or dose as detected, negative tests on days before and after, the lunacy of taking something which could do you no good when you knew you were bound to be tested.

The only plausible explanation that I can recall was the very same.

(Of course, maybe it is Spanish beef taking revenge for the corrida.)

yello

Seems like doping is more interesting than actual racing on here.

It certainly is to me, I wouldn't know about others here. I see no shame in that either, they are two completely different things. Equally, I'm interested in MotoGP but not in high performance motorcycle engine design!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Isn't clenbuterol banned even for animal use in France? It's risible to believe that he was having Spanish beef brought over to him.

yello

Indeed. Remember Landis.
Similar objections to his guilt were proposed. ie no possible benefit from the drug or dose as detected, negative tests on days before and after, the lunacy of taking something which could do you no good when you knew you were bound to be tested. The only plausible explanation that I can recall was the very same.

Indeed. And arguably why his insistence that he had not taken testosterone are (white lie) true!

You've got to find the possibility of it all deeply funny in a way. Ironic, some might say. So careful are they with the micro-dosing, to avoid detection of EPO, that they forget about the other stuff they were taking. Damned by their own blood!

The damage is already done to the sport. Strong action by administrators may minimise it... but given their past history that seems unlikely.

yello

It's risible to believe that he was having Spanish beef brought over to him.

He didn't have it brought over specifically I believe. I think it was something like a gift, but it's kind of a moot point really.

I also believe it's illegal for animal usage in Spain too... doesn't stop farmers injecting their herds with it. It does happen so as I said before, the story is plausible if not somewhat comical.

yello

It's now being claimed there is evidence of 10 times the normal level of 'plasticizers' in his blood a day before the positive. Plasticizers are used in blood bags.

Yep, that's what I was referring to before. The only link I had at that time was in German, and I didn't understand the plasticizers stuff, so thanks for that link maurice.

The news that ARD was poised to break the story could explain why Contador’s press agent released the news hours before the Elite world championship time trial.

This would explain the 'why now' question. Maybe UCI were actually sitting on this to hear Contador out.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
http://www.velonatio...content=Twitter

It's now being claimed there is evidence of 10 times the normal level of 'plasticizers' in his blood a day before the positive. Plasticizers are used in blood bags. Doesn't look good for him.

That's a really interesting article Maurice. It casts the UCI in a very poor light again. To retain gain credibility it really needs to kick ou McQuaid and te influence of HV.

OP
OP
Flying_Monkey

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Yep, that's what I was referring to before. The only link I had at that time was in German, and I didn't understand the plasticizers stuff, so thanks for that link maurice.

This would explain the 'why now' question. Maybe UCI were actually sitting on this to hear Contador out.

Or that the UCI were simply hoping to cover the whole thing up until the ARD threatened to reveal it. This is looking more and more like Landis and Hamilton all over again...

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
So many of Armstrong's former team-mates have tested positive after leaving his teams. Could it be that Postal and Discovery had such sophisticated methods of avoiding detection that riders became complacent and when they went to other teams with less advanced methods in place they were rumbled?

Top Bottom