continental ultra gatorskins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After having some excellent advice on my previous question I've gone with the gatorskins But I've read a few mixed reviews a about these tyres. Some saying they are a bit slippery but the majority saying they are excellent and have good grip in the wet.
Any more advice would be very useful. Cheers
Rich

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I don't like them as I think they're rather slippery in damp conditions. I've also not been overly impressed with their puncture resistance either....

Much prefer the 4 seasons.

AndyRM

XOXO
Tyres are quite a personal thing.

I use different Continental tyres on all my bikes (GP 4000s, Ultra Sport and Gatorskins). I don't find them slippy or puncture prone, but others do.

I wouldn't use the favourite of others, Schwalbe, because I've had bad experiences with them (splitting, punctures, grip).

Ultimately, use the rubber you feel most confident on and ignore the reviews.

frank8265

Sound advice by AndyRM!
Used to browse through a lot of user reviews when I had to buy stuff.
Always mixed reviews, which doesn't help making your mind up.
Go by your gut feeling and remember your experiences for next time.

U

User482

I find my gatorskins are a bit slippy when cornering in the wet.

gbb

Legendary Member
As a long term gator user..i never really found them slippery when wet...but there are occasions where i have had slips, but you can probably expain them away..
When new, they're very slippy in the wet. They need some miles to scrub up, then they're fine (maybe a week or so)
I have slid badly on bends....but, who's to say ANY bike with ANY tyre wouldnt have. Bends are classic places for diesel spills...no tyres will cope with that.

All my bikes over 10 years, probably 4 or 5 pairs of Gators, winter commuting the lot...yes, occasionally you'll get punctures, but i havnt had one in about 3 years. Most of it (punctures and grip) is about you and how you ride. Push into corners in the wet...You're going to risk sliding, ride sensibly, they're fine. Punctures..don't ride in the gutter, you probably won't get any.

Its a how long is a piece of string question...everyone has different experiences, but everyone has different road positions, riding style...and luck.

Stephen C

Über Member
Commuted the GP 4 Seasons for 18 months, never had any problems, one puncture (massive shard of glass, nothing would've stopped it), never had any problems with grip, but then I never push it in the wet. I assume if you cycle hard enough in the wet, you could make any tyre lose grip.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
Gators are fine, prefer four seasons but a lot of my club runs go past pubs on Sunday mornings where the patrons threw their glasses in the road seemingly, and they were getting cut up and needing to be replaced.

Gators are cheaper, therefore less painful on the wallet to replace when sliced.

+1 fir scrubbing them in, prob 50-100 miles on dryish roads and u'll be fine.

I did hear of someone going over them with fine grade sand paper to the same effect.

Broadside

Guru
I had a set for about 2000 miles, I liked the puncture resistance but eventually gave them away as the wet cornering performance was turning me in to a nervous rider and wheel spinning up hills etc. that I don't get with other tyres. I lost the front end on corners and roundabouts multiple times but fortunately never hit the deck.

I have also watched friends come a cropper on them in group rides so they're not a tyre I will buy again. With all that said I have another friend in the same group who is adamant they are the bee knees!

I suppose the only way you will know if they are for you is to try them, but if you do then be careful!

David L

Über Member
Used gatorskins for 6month commuting and weekend rides they felt slippery to start off with, but as said previously after a few rides they were fine,

The problem i have with them is they are incredibly tight to get on my rims,

might just be me though :whistle:

donnyjnk

i have had ultra sports on for about 1000 miles and been out in all weathers no problems. as regards to slipping remember you are on 23mm tyres. not alot of surface area anyway so just slow down abit. any tyre with a good puncture belt in it will suffice

I fitted some of these, but took them off. There is no way I would want to be reffiting these when out and about. Bad enough doing it at home.
They are easier after a few miles, I have never had a puncture on the front in well over 8,000 miles never had an issue with grip, maybe I am not as fast as other in the wet around bends. The back I got two pinctures (new word maybe for pinch punctures) hitting stones, the scond took a chunk of rubber off the tyre (it still ran a few more hundred miles) and put a dent in the rim, that was in 5,500 miles, the new rear no issues. a couple of thousand miles.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I have run gators on my bikes for many years without problems. I would say that you keep them up to the maximum pressure to get the best out of them.

Top Bottom