Core of presta valve came out - does it need tightening back in with a tool?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mazz

I was trying to top-up the air in my tyre and I was struggling to get the air in (this would never have happened with QuadValve®).
Then I noticed that the "core" of the presta valve was really loose and it eventually came off.
At first I thought it was broken (as I'd never seen this happen before), but I screwed it back in by hand and managed to pump up the tyre as normal.

Should the core be tightened up using a tool or is hand-tight good enough?

presta.PNG

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I always use a valve core tool, because I have one in my bike tool kit. But if I didn't, I wouldn't worry overmuch about just doing it finger tight. You don't really apply a fat lot of torque with the tool. Maybe nip it up with some snipe nosed pliers or something like that if you have them handy. (I always love using the wrong tool for the job)

Ajax Bay

Guru
Finger tight is fine unless you use a screw on adaptor at the end of the tube from the pump. In that circumstance, there's a significant risk that the core will unscrew (resulting in deflation) when you remove (by unscrewing) the adaptor.
Also there's a chance that when unscrewing the tiny knurly nut to allow air in you may unscrew the core a bit.
Many combo tools have a tiny spanner/slot the correct size.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Granite caps

I have similar. One valve cap is a core tool, the other is a spoke key - which will come in handy if I ever get bored of having true wheels and want to mess them up.

OP
OP
Mazz

Mazz

bless, no its being used to tighten the valve core (or at least demonstrate the valve cap has that function)

Ah that makes sense.
Something strange with that inner tube though, it's got watery milky fluid coming out of it.

Top Bottom