Cost of club gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LocalLad

Joined a triathlon club a bit ago, and they've just managed to secure a new supplier for club gear. Oh my, it's a touch more expensive than my aldi stuff! Was quite looking forward to having the gear for next year, but not so sure now!

Short sleeved cycle top, between 45 and 70 (depending on finish I assume). Cycle shorts about 50. Tri suit 100.

Am I just being a tight ass?

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
About the same as our club (cycling, not tri kit, obv)

gavintc

Guru
[QUOTE="LocalLad, post: 4033172, member: 42954

Am I just being a tight ass?[/QUOTE]

Yes, that is the price of club kit.

I am a member of 2 clubs and as I used to race so I had to have both kits. ( one mtb one road) MTB club only bothered with tops 35 quid for a short sleeve 45 for a long sleeve fleece, I dont like the feel of either not top quality. Road club 30 quid short sleeve, shorts 35 quid and both good quality though pad in the bibs feels a bit rubbery. Maybe just buy a top, in my road club a lot of people dont bother with the club shorts.

OP
OP
LocalLad

LocalLad

Hmmm, so my wife is right...I am a tight git!

Might grab a tri top for races, but not bother with the rest for now, and build up

Thanks for confirming!

OP
OP
LocalLad

LocalLad

I am a member of 2 clubs and as I used to race so I had to have both kits. ( one mtb one road) MTB club only bothered with tops 35 quid for a short sleeve 45 for a long sleeve fleece, I dont like the feel of either not top quality. Road club 30 quid short sleeve, shorts 35 quid and both good quality though pad in the bibs feels a bit rubbery. Maybe just buy a top, in my road club a lot of people dont bother with the club shorts.
30 for a top feels more reasonable. Though I guess it's low volume, customised stuff...

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you can only afford one item of club kit, buy the gilet (if your club does one). Then you can wear it with cheaper short or long sleeve jerseys in an appropriate colour as required.

Venod

Eh up
Yes club kit tends to be more expensive, I have just bought a long sleeve top for £48 Aldi tops are my usual, considerably cheaper. qualities not bad though its Pro Vision.

OP
OP
LocalLad

LocalLad

Ah well, think I'll go for a tri suit as that's the thing I need the most,and the thing I'll wear competing.

speccy1

Prices sound about right to me.

I used to be the "club kit man" for our club and it certainly isn`t cheap. I used to order from/deal with Endura and their prices were competitive. The last time I ordered for myself, I had bib shorts, gilet, winter jacket, and a short sleeved full zip jersey, all of which still cost me around £250. It`s not a cheap hobby unfortunately

Top Bottom