Courier for lithium battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
Hope someone can help,

I recently sold my golf trolley as I'm not playing much golf and decided I could use the money elsewhere.

However, normally use myHermes and discovered that sending a lithium battery is not possible with them, nor most other places. The ones I've found are either extortionate or else don't deal with individual customers.

Does anyone know a cost effective way to do this?

BigAl68

Über Member
Don't tell them and just ship it. Just an idea

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
I thought about it. The myHermes chatwoman claims they recheck the parcels in depot and destroy any prohibited goods. Not sure I believe her.

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
My only worry is the trolley is worth over £300. I'd cry if they destroyed it (as I'd need to refund the buyer!)

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
£13.50 with myHermes, £22 with TNT but only £50 cover - to cover £330 its another £14 excluding VAT! So the best part of £40!

accountantpete

Brexiteer
Post the battery with Royal Mail (£5.20 if under 2kg) telling the counter staff that it is bike components and ship the trolley My Hemes.

Royal Mail even prohibit quartz watches because of the battery:wacko:

OP
OP
ChrisV

ChrisV

Formerly CC2014
The reason the rules are like that is because apparently if shaken a lot and broken a lithium battery can go on fire or something. Is that true? What's the chances of me burning up the local PO?

accountantpete

Brexiteer
The reason the rules are like that is because apparently if shaken a lot and broken a lithium battery can go on fire or something. Is that true? What's the chances of me burning up the local PO?

There are lithium batteries in mobile phones - billions are shaken each day without exploding.

They will only catch fire if stirred, not shaken.

No, it is not why they are dangerous. An accidental short could make them burn violently. They can also start to burn during charging but that's not applicable in your case. This accidental short could be due to mishandling, if something were to puncture the package and battery casing for instance.

Lithium batteries in GPS units in cars have spontaneously caught fire in the past but as you and I know, these incidences are rare. Most of our rechargeable devices have LiIon batteries nowadays.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I returned the lithium battery that failed on Maz's e-bike kit to the supplier by Royal Mail and they sent out a new one no problem. As long as it is packed well there shouldn't be a problem.

G3CWI

Veteran
"There are lithium batteries in mobile phones - billions are shaken each day without exploding."

The energy stored in a golf buggy battery is hardly comparable to that stored in a mobile phone battery. Carriers are reluctant to take them for a reason - it would not make sense otherwise.

Top Bottom