Crankset upgrade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swh1

Hi guys,

Looking to upgrade my crankset! Currently using a shimano R565 172.5mm crankset. It's the only part of my bike which isn't ultegra (10spd ultegra), and so asthetically I quite want to upgrade to ultegra, but I would also believe the improve rigidity of the crankset would be beneficial.

So my question is, is it worthwhile upgrading, and am I right in my thinking about the benefits of the upgrade?

And also, what do I need to check to make sure the new crankset would fit the bike?

Thanks guys!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You probably won't notice any difference other than the aesthetics.

D

Deleted member 23692

R565 is middle ground between Tiagra and 105. "Upgrading" will be a watse of money even if you were racing. Changing for cosmetics so that everything matches would be the only realistic reason to do it

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

So I really wouldn't notice anything? How about if I was to go up to dura ace? Or same principle?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
So I really wouldn't notice anything? How about if I was to go up to dura ace? Or same principle?

Pretty much the same principal. Higher end cranksets are generally lighter and look nicer, that said IMO, Shimano cranksets looks pretty cack right across the range.

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Brilliant, thank you for that.

Then second question, if I am to upgrade, checking compatibility?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Brilliant, thank you for that.

Then second question, if I am to upgrade, checking compatibility?

You will already have a Shimano hollowtech bottom bracket in the bike, so if you buy another Shimano road crankset, it will be a straight swap in all likelihood. Buy the same crank length if you are happy with it as it is and have no real reason to change. Select the same BCD as you currently have (110 BCD aka compact, or 130 BCD aka Standard), again unless you have a reason to change. This information will be marked on the crankset you currently have. If you want a new bottom bracket putting in at the same time, I probably would, even though it is not essential or even desirable generally speaking, check the markings on the current bottom bracket.

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

Awesome!! Thank you Rob3rt!

I think I will upgrade, but it will be from the sound just for aesthetic reasons!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It will also be slightly lighter... but still, aesthetic reasons are reason enough :smile:

OP
OP
swh1

swh1

You will already have a Shimano hollowtech bottom bracket in the bike, so if you buy another Shimano road crankset, it will be a straight swap in all likelihood. Buy the same crank length if you are happy with it as it is and have no real reason to change. Select the same BCD as you currently have (110 BCD aka compact, or 130 BCD aka Standard), again unless you have a reason to change. This information will be marked on the crankset you currently have. If you want a new bottom bracket putting in at the same time, I probably would, even though it is not essential or even desirable generally speaking, check the markings on the current bottom bracket.

Could you please expand on the BCD comment?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
It is the distance between the bolts that hold the chainrings to the crankset and it will dictate what size chainrings you can use, as such, assuming you are happy with what you have, then stick with the same BCD. This will also be marked on either the chainring and/or chainset (or you can measure it).

Top Bottom