crazy bright rear light spotted, what was it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

Was driving from London to Norfolk this weekend and there was a TT event happening up one of the A roads. Motorists were all giving cyclists lots of space and it looked like a very well organised event. Some of the cyclists had rear lights but one was AMAZING. It was a super bright red flasher with about one in four flashes in green.

Amazingly eye catching even in daylight. Anybody know what light it could have been?

Jody

Stubborn git
Could be this. I googled "rear bike light that alternates green"

http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Was driving from London to Norfolk this weekend and there was a TT event happening up one of the A roads. Motorists were all giving cyclists lots of space and it looked like a very well organised event. Some of the cyclists had rear lights but one was AMAZING. It was a super bright red flasher with about one in four flashes in green.

Amazingly eye catching even in daylight. Anybody know what light it could have been?
Maybe this? Quite pricy though.
http://four4th.co.uk/products/lights/scorpion/

Jody

Stubborn git
Missed the price of their products on first look :eek::blink:

It is indeed the Scorpion, quite a few tt'ers use them although recently there have been problems with the mounting bracket and not great customer service. It is possible to have just red flashing without the green which flashes once after every two red. It is thought that the very pale green flash gets the attention of drivers better than just red. We have the Exposure Blaze, expensive yes, but worth it.

OP
OP
S

scouserinlondon

It is indeed the Scorpion, quite a few tt'ers use them although recently there have been problems with the mounting bracket and not great customer service. It is possible to have just red flashing without the green which flashes once after every two red. It is thought that the very pale green flash gets the attention of drivers better than just red. We have the Exposure Blaze, expensive yes, but worth it.

It totally got my attention more than any other the other TTers who had normal red flashers and I noticed other drivers giving this guy a wider berth so it shows non cyclists noticed it too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The former bromptonfb had a very bright Hope rear light for daytime use. It had a distinctive erratic 'burst mode' flash pattern which really caught the eye.

He came on one of my forum rides which included your old stomping ground. We got slightly ahead of him and headed down the Old Roman Road towards Read but bfb missed the turn and headed off towards Sabden. It was a bright sunny day but I could still see his light flashing from a mile away, even when I couldn't make out him or his bike.

I think such lights are a good safety aid in daylight but should definitely be dimmed for riding in gloomy or dark conditions. I have had a couple of people using over-bright rear lights come out on forum rides which involved riding back after sunset. I found it unpleasant riding behind them and had my night vision trashed.

Top Bottom