Critérium du Dauphiné 2015, June 7-14 2015 **** Spoilers ****

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
By the way, what were Nibali and Scarponi doing on the last stage when they came through and reeled in Valverde who comically shook his head in puzzlement at their effort. I couldn't decide if he was making a point to Froome or if he'd decided to help him out as Sky faded, which also made a point. He had a good look across at him when he pulled over and it was at a decisive point in the race when Sky were swamped and would have had to put Poels and Roche on the front early.
to be honest, I don't think Froome really needed the help after watching a 'seated Froome forge clear while spinning his legs at an improbable cadence'

RobNewcastle

I think I'd go along with most of that, apart from Roche, he really hasn't had the fitness to do his job properly in the last few days, and if Porte is good to go, he will be the last man on the climbs for Froome to launch himself off, I would say Boswell and Deignan are very serious possibilities

Roche did look like he was struggling a bit at times but then there's still 3 weeks to the tour to refine fitness. Agree Deignan looked bloody good and is a real scrapper. As someone else pointed out the right mix for the TTT is vital.

As ever for all the GC riders but especially Froome it's about just getting to the mountains without crashing. If Contador, Froome and Quintana all make it unscathed to the first big climb we could be in for a right old ding dong showdown. The way Froome looked in those two Dauphine stage wins and the way we know Contador and Quintana can climb I just can't see anyone else including Nibali staying with them when it all kicks off.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Quintana is more suited to long steady climbs than short sharp bursts on the steep sections from what I recall in the previous GT's he's been competitive in.

Contador was just fitter than Froome in the Vuelta.

I think we'll see Froome v Contador when the really steep stuff starts (if they both manage to stay upright this time)

GilesM

Legendary Member
Roche did look like he was struggling a bit at times but then there's still 3 weeks to the tour to refine fitness. Agree Deignan looked bloody good and is a real scrapper. As someone else pointed out the right mix for the TTT is vital.

As ever for all the GC riders but especially Froome it's about just getting to the mountains without crashing. If Contador, Froome and Quintana all make it unscathed to the first big climb we could be in for a right old ding dong showdown. The way Froome looked in those two Dauphine stage wins and the way we know Contador and Quintana can climb I just can't see anyone else including Nibali staying with them when it all kicks off.

Deignan and Kennaugh were very impressive on the final stage on Sunday, they must have been in bits, but kept going until the bottom of the last climb, I hate to think how much that hurt.

It will be interesting to see who is the strongest, and I agree, I cannot see anyone else competing against those three, although I expect yates and Bardet to have a few good days, however, the climbing domestics will be so important, in a three week race, riders will have bad days, when they need loss limiting help, and good days when they really want to put others under real pressure, hopefully Porte will be there for Froome to do that, but as we have seen before, Porte can have a bad day or two after a tough day. Hopefully he'll be told to sit up when his job is done this year, not like his mad charge for second place in 2013, but I am sure Froome will need help from a few of the other team members, and there does seem to be some really good guys around him.
The TTT should be a bit better with Porte and Thomas, then he'll have the big engine of Standard along with the brains of Eisel to keep him out of trouble (if it goes to plan) on the fast flat bits. It's going to be very good.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Thibaut Pinot is looking good in Switzerland. It would be nice to think he has a chance of being in the mix at the Tour, but seeing as FDJ were even worse than AG2R in the TTT, that could hamper his chances somewhat.

Can't see anyone else troubling the big four though.

Thibaut Pinot is looking good in Switzerland. It would be nice to think he has a chance of being in the mix at the Tour, but seeing as FDJ were even worse than AG2R in the TTT, that could hamper his chances somewhat.

Can't see anyone else troubling the big four though.
Pinot has just lost one of his trusted lieutenants in the form of Arnold Jeanesson, suffering a lack of form and crisis of confidence after a crash earlier in the year.

RobNewcastle

Deignan and Kennaugh were very impressive on the final stage on Sunday, they must have been in bits, but kept going until the bottom of the last climb, I hate to think how much that hurt.

It will be interesting to see who is the strongest, and I agree, I cannot see anyone else competing against those three, although I expect yates and Bardet to have a few good days, however, the climbing domestics will be so important, in a three week race, riders will have bad days, when they need loss limiting help, and good days when they really want to put others under real pressure, hopefully Porte will be there for Froome to do that, but as we have seen before, Porte can have a bad day or two after a tough day. Hopefully he'll be told to sit up when his job is done this year, not like his mad charge for second place in 2013, but I am sure Froome will need help from a few of the other team members, and there does seem to be some really good guys around him.
The TTT should be a bit better with Porte and Thomas, then he'll have the big engine of Standard along with the brains of Eisel to keep him out of trouble (if it goes to plan) on the fast flat bits. It's going to be very good.

A Poels in top form together with someone like Konig or a Deignan I guess takes the pressure off Porte having a bad day (which I'm sure we'll see again to some degree). As long as there's someone else to take up the slack if Porte wilts. Sergio Henao is another good option for the really big climbs but I'm not too sure what his form is like recently and if Konig is recovered from the girl then there's some serious climbing talent there. The age old question will also be how much the giro has taken out of Contador. If you were Quintana or Froome you'd fancy your chances against someone who has a recent GT in the legs when you're deep in the 3rd week of the tour coming on the big climbs. If Contador turns those two over on the climbs and wins the tour then it'll be the most impressive cycling achievement I've witnessed.

Looking forward to see the Yates brothers hopefully performing well.

GilesM

Legendary Member
A Poels in top form together with someone like Konig or a Deignan I guess takes the pressure off Porte having a bad day

I agree, Poels looked very good on the steep climbs, and able to go for quite a long time.

The age old question will also be how much the giro has taken out of Contador. If you were Quintana or Froome you'd fancy your chances against someone who has a recent GT in the legs when you're deep in the 3rd week of the tour coming on the big climbs. If Contador turns those two over on the climbs and wins the tour then it'll be the most impressive cycling achievement I've witnessed.

In the new cleaner (I think, hope) era of cycling that would be impressive.

Looking forward to see the Yates brothers hopefully performing well.

That should be good, also Steve Cummins could be good for a few breaks, possible stage win

Top Bottom