Crown paint...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
From memory of working at a paint factory in Brum during holidays, there were many batch formulations. Helped with the weighing and adding of various components, which was interesting, in comparison to "tinning off". 8 hours of purgatory, with a lunatic who operated the filler to try and get more tins of emulsion coming down the conveyor than I could stack into the stillages. Inevitably one can of emulsion would topple off. Break time.....

primalcarl

A decorator I know uses Crown. Mainly because it's cheaper than Dulux.

I use Dulux Trade as standard and rarely have any problems. This week I had to go over purple walls with a mint green and it took 5 coats cutting in. I do find the colour very consistent with Dulux trade though

Travis Perkins here are rubbish for paint though, sometimes they've run out of light bases and this week after many phone calls to Dulux they realised they didn't have any bases for the Light & Space range. Luckily Homebase were able to help

Globalti

Legendary Member
I painted my Land Rover's wheels with Dulux Once in ivory and they stayed looking good for about five years!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
As a side note..i was talking to a decorator recently. Quality paint for a quality job..thats the only way. he said.
He recommended Daimond Matt for walls. (Dulux product i think)
Matt ? on walls...but you cant really clean it can you? i said.

Diamond matts extremely tough, and being matt, it doesnt reflect surrounding colours, so you only see the colour you put on the wall...he explained.

Then i saw how much it cost !!!!!! nearly £50 for 5 litres :biggrin::ohmy::ohmy:

Mr Pig

Yes, Diamond Matt is a Dulux paint. It's a matt paint that you can scrub marks off. They use it in schools etc but it's a bit of an overkill in your house.

Iceniner

Mr Pig said:
Yes, Diamond Matt is a Dulux paint. It's a matt paint that you can scrub marks off. They use it in schools etc but it's a bit of an overkill in your house.

Id agree it sounds a bit of an overkill. Its "tougher" than normal paints because of the polymer composition they use. Compared to normal wall paints the monomers used to make the polymer in the diamond paint will be more expensive to start with.

They also need to add more additives to get it to film form on the wall so you dont get strange finishes like the paint looking like an orange skin peel/cracked/wrinkled. These are known as coalescence aids. Its far more difficult to formulate a tougher paint for application at room temp. Its all to do with an effect known as glass transition temperatures (calculated using the "fox equation") and minimum film formation temperatures.

A bit geeky but there is a lot more science in a pot of paint than you realise!

Mr Pig

Iceniner said:
...there is a lot more science in a pot of paint than you realise!

Or need to know ;0)

Top Bottom