CTC letter - please help explain it!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

i got a letter from the CTC about renewing my membership and would be grateful if someone could explain it in laymans tangible terms as i'm obviously too thick to understand their product jargon as a tangible layman's explanation of what I actually gain.

Apparently, my "subscription for Bike to Work (Cycle Rescue) is £36".
So, what i'm struggling to understand is,
a) does that mean that if I'm cycling to work and i break down, they'll rescue me?
:biggrin: Does it mean they'll rescue me if I'm NOT cycling to work and I break down?
c) What other exclusions/pitfalls are there standing in the way of me having peace of mind that if my bike breaks i'll be able to call them out? what if it's at night etc?

I did used to be a member of ETA and had an irrepairable problem with my mtb, and I called them and they came. maybe i should join them again - or has anybody got any other recommendations?

Most of the CTC letter is blathering on about "benefits" that are of no use to me - such as 'route informatino including lands end to john o groats via the internet or phone' - great, cheers! It's not like i can't get that for free, then , is it - that's worth paying for. :wacko:

But if it does what i want it to do, which is effective, no quibble breakdown insurance then i'll join it. But if it's only when i'm cycling to work then it's not of a great deal of use to me, as it opens them up to the possibilty of quibbling - what if i take the scenic route to work ? (as i often do at the moment)

Sorry, you were a member of a Basque Seperatists group and they came out to fix your bike: Blimey! They have branched out.

Crankarm

Guru
bonj said:
i got a letter from the CTC about renewing my membership and would be grateful if someone could explain it in laymans tangible terms as i'm obviously too thick to understand their product jargon as a tangible layman's explanation of what I actually gain.

Apparently, my "subscription for Bike to Work (Cycle Rescue) is £36".
So, what i'm struggling to understand is,
a) does that mean that if I'm cycling to work and i break down, they'll rescue me?
;) Does it mean they'll rescue me if I'm NOT cycling to work and I break down?
c) What other exclusions/pitfalls are there standing in the way of me having peace of mind that if my bike breaks i'll be able to call them out? what if it's at night etc?

I did used to be a member of ETA and had an irrepairable problem with my mtb, and I called them and they came. maybe i should join them again - or has anybody got any other recommendations?

Most of the CTC letter is blathering on about "benefits" that are of no use to me - such as 'route informatino including lands end to john o groats via the internet or phone' - great, cheers! It's not like i can't get that for free, then , is it - that's worth paying for. ;)

But if it does what i want it to do, which is effective, no quibble breakdown insurance then i'll join it. But if it's only when i'm cycling to work then it's not of a great deal of use to me, as it opens them up to the possibilty of quibbling - what if i take the scenic route to work ? (as i often do at the moment)

bonj I think cycle break down cover is a total waste of money and a rip off. Just carry the essentials to get you out of trouble such as a couple of tubes, spare power links, tyre levers, etc. If a bike is well maintained then there is precious little to go wrong with it. Would this scheme cover you if the bike was damaged in a crash? Maybe not. If you are stranded you can always call some one to make alternative arrangements or to come and collect you. But more often than not there is never a problem so money down the drain. I gave up RAC car breakdown cover years ago as they refused to reduce my premium as I simply hadn't needed to claim thus making them a tidy sum. Cars like bikes are a lot more reliable these days. Organisations like the CTC or breakdown companies always prey on peoples' insecurities - the end is nigh scenario join us and we'll rescue you......

CTC had lots of services which had various restrictions or 0870 numbers which I never used and was ONE of the factors why I left them.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Crankarm said:
bonj I think cycle break down cover is a total waste of money and a rip off. Just carry the essentials to get you out of trouble such as a couple of tubes, spare power links, tyre levers, etc. If a bike is well maintained then there is precious little to go wrong with it. Would this scheme cover you if the bike was damaged in a crash? Maybe not. If you are stranded you can always call some one to make alternative arrangements or to come and collect you. But more often than not there is never a problem so money down the drain. I gave up RAC car breakdown cover years ago as they refused to reduce my premium as I simply hadn't needed to claim thus making them a tidy sum. Cars like bikes are a lot more reliable these days. Organisations like the CTC or breakdown companies always prey on peoples' insecurities - the end is nigh scenario join us and we'll rescue you......

CTC had lots of services which had various restrictions or 0870 numbers which I never used and was ONE of the factors why I left them.

Please don't patronise bonj, he's a "serious cyclist":biggrin:

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Crankarm said:

possibly. that might be what i wanted to hear tbh...

asterix

Comrade Member
My membership of the CTC is due to their campaigning work for cyclists which has been very effective.

The information they can provide for tourists based on the experiences of a large number of members is pretty comprehensive.

Unfortunately I also had to call on their legal team when injured by a motorist who did a runner leaving a false address and was never traced. They sorted it very satisfactorily.

Don't confuse the CTC with a commercial organisation like the RAC because they aren't; if they sell insurance products it's to keep the club's head above water and fund their canvassing of cyclists interests, not make a profit for shareholders.

User said:
If you can't understand what the letter means, bonj, then I suggest you ask an adult to help you.

;)

Little chance of that on here then !

Sorry, can't help with the original question Bonj, not had any dealings with the CTC.

Having 'recovery' cover isn't something I'd personally bother with, but others might - it obviously depends where you ride (urban v's rural), how far you cycle, how time-critical most of your journeys are and what other contingency plans you have if you have a catastrophic breakdown - i.e. bike not even wheelable, pannier to cope with etc.

All I'd really want with an unrideable/unpushable bike is someone to get me from where I broke down to where I wanted to go. I wouldn't expect an event of that severity once in 10 years - or less - unless I was riding a bike not really suited to purpose or not properly maintained. My number one contingency plan is Mrs B rescuing me in the car. Number two plan is to get a taxi, though don't know how receptive they would be: maybe I should ask now in advance? Number three plan would be to find somewhere/someone I could leave the bike with - lots of shops where I cycle - and go back for it later in the car, and/or take it to a bike shop in the city.

Looked at this way, persoanlly I'm better saving money rather than paying for cover that in all probability I'm never going to use.

Crankarm

Guru
asterix said:
Don't confuse the CTC with a commercial organisation like the RAC because they aren't; if they sell insurance products it's to keep the club's head above water and fund their canvassing of cyclists interests, not make a profit for shareholders.

I didn't think I had.

Your post makes me think of 2 + 2 = 5.

If they are selling insurance policies to keep the club's head above water and fund their canvassing of cyclists interests then they are taking a cut for their own means. They should be more up front and just ask the members for more cash at membership renewal time.

Top Bottom