Cube Peleton Road, Giant Defy 3 or Boardman Sport all 2014 models

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sniffer77

Hi all
Per my previous post , I am looking for my first road bike .

My original budget was £500 now it's £700.

I like the look and feel of the 3 bikes but haven't had lengthy rides on each.
Now the cube and defy I can get on cycle to work whilst the boardman would be cash purchase as my work don't use them for cycle 2work hence the reduced value of the sport at £500.

I would be using the bike on evenings and weekends to keep up my fitness and hopefully get the bug.

Can you tell me if there is much between the 3 in terms of quality etc and which would you choose?
I know there are countless others available but I've seen these in lbs and like them.
Any advice or guidance greatly appreciate because if I'm honest I'm dithering as I know nothing about bikes.

Thanks

MikeW-71

Veteran
You will get a better component spec on the Cube and Giant. Both are good bikes at the entry level, even their chosen gearing seems similar and beginner-friendly. Giant use a compact double chainset, and Cube are using a triple.

Which one do you like the look of the best? It might just come down to that :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would go for the Defy 3 or the Boardman. The dolloped bird poo welding on the Cube would really put me off, especially on a bike at that price. The Boardman has a particularly fine finish.

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Well if I'm honest I liked the look of the cube the best, I hadn't spotted the welding issues , is that likely to cause a problem?
I do too like the boardman but after cycle2work discount the more expensive bikes with better gears are the same price, or shouldn't I need to worry about that in this price bracket?

SteCenturion

I am your Father
FWIW to you my mate has a 2013 Giant Defy 3 which he loves, he has made some upgrades to it recently with a lighter faster wheels set.

I had a Giant Defy which was a fine bike but unfortunately bought the wrong frame size (2nd hand) so that's gone.

Cubes Peloton is a great bike & found favour with many CC'ers lately with many happy owners.

I don't believe that the welding on any Cube is an issue at all. I think what is being referred to is that the welds have a more industrial finish.

Worthy of note is that Giants welds on 2014 Defy's are also now more industrial, receiving less 'smoothing' than they once did which reduces production costs. I took this info from a Cycling Plus magazine.
It's only relevance is aesthetics & has no bearing on function or integrity of the frame structure.

Both the Giant & Cube will be great bikes for the £££ with the Cube giving the best value in terms of spec for any given price.

There will be a noticeable difference from the those bikes to the Boardman just down to price & spec, with better all round componentry & lighter weight.

It will all boil down to which bike makes you do this :biggrin:

Best of British.

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

FWIW to you my mate has a 2013 Giant Defy 3 which he loves, he has made some upgrades to it recently with a lighter faster wheels set.

I had a Giant Defy which was a fine bike but unfortunately bought the wrong frame size (2nd hand) so that's gone.

Cubes Peloton is a great bike & found favour with many CC'ers lately with many happy owners.

I don't believe that the welding on any Cube is an issue at all. I think what is being referred to is that the welds have a more industrial finish.

Worthy of note is that Giants welds on 2014 Defy's are also now more industrial, receiving less 'smoothing' than they once did which reduces production costs. I took this info from a Cycling Plus magazine.
It's only relevance is aesthetics & has no bearing on function or integrity of the frame structure.

Both the Giant & Cube will be great bikes for the £££ with the Cube giving the best value in terms of spec for any given price.

There will be a noticeable difference from the those bikes to the Boardman just down to price & spec, with better all round componentry & lighter weight.

It will all boil down to which bike makes you do this :biggrin:

Best of British.[/Q

Thanks for the replies so far. I'm edging towards the peloton purely on looks I think , it should hopefully last better than the boardman with better components .
I'm 75% getting the cube unless anyway can sway me again

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks for the replies so far. I'm edging towards the peloton purely on looks I think , it should hopefully last better than the boardman with better components .
I'm 75% getting the cube unless anyway can sway me again
Hi again.

I am 'still' to sort out my C2W scheme bike but have chosen the 2014 Cube Peloton Race at £999.
The Race has a full 105 group set & Mavic Aksium wheels with Mavic tyre system.

The real cost to me (as a lower rate earner/tax payer) is approx £700 as the tax & n.i contributions will be avoided.

On both the Cube & Giant the same frame is used throughout their aluminium range so upgradeable later on when parts wear out but it is cheaper if you can afford the payments to go straight to the top of the range rather than start changing bits.

Just thought this might help a little.

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Thanks for that. My max budget is £700 before tax deductions etc so peloton road is my option I believe.
I hope that this will get me through 12 months before I look to upgrade parts etc

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Thanks for that. My max budget is £700 before tax deductions etc so peloton road is my option I believe.
I hope that this will get me through 12 months before I look to upgrade parts etc
More than 12 months & much longer if you look after the drivetrain regularly, unless doing really high mileage.

1st upgrade should probably be wheels as they give the biggest improvement in both weight & performance, usually, (rotating mass).

A carbon seatpost & handlebars improve comfort & shed a little but not masses of weight.

Be sure to keep us all posted on your final purchase, new bikes, so exciting.

San Marco

Hmmm... Using the bike 'on evenings and weekends, for fitness and getting the bug', but purchasing the bike through C2W scheme? :thumbsup::whistle:

Go for the Cube Peloton Race at £999. Might as well get the best bike you can get on the scheme. Some allow payments over 18 months instead of 12 which helps too.

OP
OP
Sniffer77

Sniffer77

Hmmm... Using the bike 'on evenings and weekends, for fitness and getting the bug', but purchasing the bike through C2W scheme? :thumbsup::whistle:

Go for the Cube Peloton Race at £999. Might as well get the best bike you can get on the scheme. Some allow payments over 18 months instead of 12 which helps too.
Ohh yeah and cycling to work obviously

Top Bottom