Cube Peloton 2011 - 64cm.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

bornagainst

Über Member
It would be interesting to understand the improvements in performance (average speed improvements mainly) of your new bike compared to your Sirrus . I have a Sirrus and thinking of a road bike but wondering what benefits it would give. Your feedback would be welcome.

Hi,

(any opinion has to consider that I'm bound to like something that cost me nearly £900 - a big chunk of money to me!)

The sirrus was by no means a bad bike, and I did a couple of 50-70 mile rides last summer on it, but it never felt like it 'wanted' to eat up the miles. It cruised round and it did it's job without complaints and that was that.

After riding the Cube in anger since start of Feb, it's totally clear that it really really wants to go quicker. The gearing is far more useful for quick road riding. At 20mph on the sirrus the choice of gears was quite limited - in fact most of the gears on the sirrus were totally useless for road riding. The Cube has plenty of gears right in the zone for riding on the road, and the tiagra shifters have been faultless.

The end result is I've gone from 'a couple of summer commutes and some fun rides' each year to commuting pretty much every day, something I never would have thought I could do. 12 miles each way along flat-ish main roads, and the Cube just goes faster and faster.

It's hard to judge any speed improvements, because the sirrus was really a casual bike. Maybe it's more my own mindset, but once I got on the Cube I could see 100 miles a week being in fact 'no bother', and March is looking like 125+ miles each week.

If the Cube was stolen tomorrow, I'd buy another... but an even faster model. :smile:

Mark.

P.S. I also find riding with my hands on the hoods much more comfortable than the rather wide flat bars of the sirrus.

Top Bottom