Cube Peloton Race/SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well, it finally got here! Ordered on C2W as a Peloton Race (£1000) the LBS was able to source the following. It's badged up as a Peloton SL, but has the same spec as the Race. The only difference is the front mech and the shifters, which are 105 on the Race and Ultegra on the SL. I would say the paint job is far prettier on this beauty:
newcube065.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Well? Pic then...!

Finally! Looks really nice :hyper:

I also like the flat handlebars very much, are they like that or are they taped around the wires which makes them flat?

It's a skully light. The eyes are mad little LEDs that flash disco style. A mate gave me a pair of them for Christmas and I couldn't resist putting it on!
http://www.tmart.com/2-LED-Cute-Skull-Safety-Warning-Bicycle-Bick-Light-Black_p113985.html

Ye ye, come on you can admit your little indulgence, looks fun anyway, I might get a couple for my 10yrs old son bike LOL:rofl:

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
Finally! Looks really nice :hyper:

I also like the flat handlebars very much, are they like that or are they taped around the wires which makes them flat?

Ye ye, come on you can admit your little indulgence, looks fun anyway, I might get a couple for my 10yrs old son bike LOL:rofl:
The bars are Easton EA30 Aero oversized. The flat sections are indeed great for palm resting.

Oh yeah, if Silver hadn't bought me the skullies I'd have got some myself!

andyh

Über Member
very very nice
can you let me know how she ride's ? im tempted to upgrade and was looking at the attempt the end of last year but now they've changed it to the peloton race..

OP
OP
Cubist

Cubist

Still wavin'
very very nice
can you let me know how she ride's ? im tempted to upgrade and was looking at the attempt the end of last year but now they've changed it to the peloton race..
I took it for a windy 10 miles yesterday. The first 5 miles was uphill into a headwind and the last thing I rode on the road was my Boardman Hybrid pro, which I had set up with the bars low, as sporty as it gets with flat bars. That was a nice light quick bike (still is, watch ebay in the next month or so........) and so there wasn't a massive step-change onto the Peloton.

I can describe the Peloton as very similar in geometry to the Boardman. I felt well stretched out on the hoods, and a bit hunched on the drops, but once my Christmas gut diminishes I think it'll feel a bit comfier :blush:.

I was a wee bit apprehensive about the gear shifters, only ever having used downtube levers or trigger shifters up to press, but I needn't have worried. Within ten minutes or so I had completely got the hang of them and they felt intuitive. I was also expecting the bike to be a bit twitchy, but the slack head angle makes it far stabler than I expected. I unclipped to make my first U-turn, afraid it would snap round, but there was no need. I bought this because the reviews and geometry suggest day-long comfort before outright speed, and initial impressions are that I could ride good long distances on this.

The hill and headwinds of the A640 were as good a test for the triple as I could have asked for, and at one point I realised I had used all the gears on the way up to Buckstones. I must state that shifting was ultra-precise, very slick, both front and rear, and a massive change in sweet shifting compared with the Hybrid's Compact over MTB cassette. Very civilised, very smooth.

Brakes were intially a bit of an eye-opener after the effortless stopping power of discs, but a good handful meant the bike came under control well enough. I can't see me repeating the 50 mph plunge down Round Ings every morning until the weather improves! They felt particularly competent once I got a head of steam up on the way back down from Buckstones, and once I had got the measure of them.

The climb was a bit of a grind, with the strong wind and drizzle stopping me concentrating on the newness of the bike, and perhaps that is accolade enough.... I didn't need to spend the whole ride thinking about the bike, it let me get on with it.

A few minutes at the car park in the wet low cloud was enough. I needed to get home and warm up, so I turned it downhill and set off. F*ck me it's quick! The tailwind and the downhill combined to get me tot he other end of the gearing within about 200 metres. If anything it could do with a bigger front chainring in conditions like yesterday. I fretted about braking, but eventually relaxed and gave it its head. I pedalled out of the gears pretty quickly, so estimate 45 mph on the longest stretch. Once I got below the clouds and could see the road ahead was clear I was able to experiment with different hand positions. I was stretched rather than tucked on the hoods, but very comfortable.

At one point I managed to get a bit of a wobble on, but soon got it back in line. The final climb back up to my house has been a bit of a grind on the Boardman, and a middle grind on the MTB or even a granny grind if I'm knackered, so the fact that the Cube shot up like a gazelle says it all.

I found it fast and responsive without being too twitchy, and couldn't be more pleased with my choice.

Top Bottom