Current favorite professional is ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I could watch Romain Bardet descend all day long. OK, exaggerating a bit there, at least 10 minutes.

Geraint Thomas for his sense of humour at the end of a long day in the saddle.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Sylvain Chavanel and Geraint Thomas are both long-time favourites. Tireless workhorses for the team but also great racers in their own right. (Never been so keen on Voeckler cos he's a bit of a showpony by comparison, and a bit of a wasted talent - always felt he could have achieved more if he spent less time gurning for the camera.)

Current favourite is Taylor Phinney - a real gutsy racer with a big heart, and pretty cool off the bike too. Such a shame about his injury - could have been the new Cancellara but I worry he'll never be able to live up to his potential now. .

I'm really warming to Thibaut Pinot too, especially this season - he's starting to look like a real contender and if a bit of luck goes his way, could even be the next French Tour winner.

Luke Rowe is another who is starting to look like a rider of real quality - he's clearly from the same mould as Thomas and could yet develop into a serious force in the classics.

And not forgetting Stannard... In fact, there are loads of riders I could name who I admire and enjoy watching but I'd be here all day...

Wholeheartedly agree with your appreciation of Taylor Phinney.

What strikes me is not a mention of Chris Froome from what I see.

Why?

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Even allowing for all his faults, and there were many, the rider who most excited me was Pantani. He rode the climbs like a god at times...but, if it has to be a current professional, then I would go for .....err.....none really... :sad:

Firestorm

Veteran
Lizzie and Geraint on the road, although I also have a soft spot for Nicholas Roche and Dowsett 'cos he's an Essex lad
Laura and Jason Kenny on the track.

Historically , Robert Millar, Steven Roche, Beryl Tom Simpson and from the national Scene Nim Carline and Pete Reeves.
My all time hero , though, was my Dad

Reactions: 2IT

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
What strikes me is not a mention of Chris Froome from what I see.

He's a very talented rider, but he's not very charismatic and he looks like a deranged spider when he rides a bike.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

No, that wasn't my point. Brits stereotypically don't like winners.

Then Brits have a love for losers??? Wasn't Wiggins knighted? The Brownlee brothers? The great British milers of all time.

This is news to me.

OP
OP
2IT

2IT

No, that wasn't my point. Brits stereotypically don't like winners.

Have given this some more thought. In the US there seems to be two opposing feelings about winners/winning.

We like the underdog winning.
We jump on the bandwagon and enjoy winners.
We are a happy people ;)

Then Brits have a love for losers??? Wasn't Wiggins knighted? The Brownlee brothers? The great British milers of all time.

This is news to me.

Anyone other than Military Personnel being knighted is an utter joke IMO.
But no doubt these guys are brilliant in their sport.
And should be rewarded in some way,but not knighted.
Sir Bradley ?
Give me a break.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2IT
Top Bottom