Curtis to pen Doctor Who episode

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

User

Attachments

• matt_smith_doctor__1215943c.jpg
    matt_smith_doctor__1215943c.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 20

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I'm not entirely sure that's what people will be watching it for :biggrin:.

marinyork

Yellow Fang said:
It would be good if they got a science fiction writer to write an episode, one who knew science.

New producers of Doctor Who or ones with big egos tend to feel threatened by them hence the policy through much of the JNT and RTD eras. That said prolifically good story writers in Doctor Who are rare so the balance has to be somewhere in the middle.

yello

andrew-the-tortoise said:
Going to give it a miss from now on

That applied to me several series ago. After Tennant's first series in fact. I know Dr Who is meant to be silly but it just got... well, silly.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I can't wait for the next series.

Think of the really good ones from the past series. "Are you my Mummy?", Blink, The Girl in the Fireplace, Silence in the Library?

All written by one person. Not Russell T Davis, but Stephen Moffat. Who is now the man in charge of the Dr Who scripts. The man who said "If people are worried that because I'm taking over Doctor Who it's going to be just really, really frightening, if that's your concern then… tough."

I'm very pleased that those who took over Dr Who for the modern era have got a very, very scary knowledge of the full history of Dr Who. I'm very happy that they have kept with looking for the right actor, rather than the right name, and that the scripts have been tight, intelligent, and well acted.

I think we can get a bit nostalgic for what we remember, but I have no doubt that this stuff will last as long as some of the old stuff, and that the young people today will miss Dr Who when they are our age.

marinyork

I don't think they have a bloody clue about the history of doctor who tbh. But I'm a lot happier with Moffat.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
marinyork said:
I don't think they have a bloody clue about the history of doctor who tbh.

Believe me, there are lots of little subtle elements to Dr Who that would only be included by someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of Dr Who from episode 1. David Tenant (OK, only the actor, not the writer), did a Mastermind on Dr Who. My wife, who is a lifelong fan and addict, just could not even come close to competing with his knowledge. And Moffat has applied to be a writer before.

"I applied before but I got knocked back cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven."

There's a lifelong ambition for you.

marinyork

BrumJim said:
Believe me, there are lots of little subtle elements to Dr Who that would only be included by someone with an encyclopedic knowledge of Dr Who from episode 1. David Tenant (OK, only the actor, not the writer), did a Mastermind on Dr Who. My wife, who is a lifelong fan and addict, just could not even come close to competing with his knowledge. And Moffat has applied to be a writer before.

"I applied before but I got knocked back cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven."

There's a lifelong ambition for you.

Er, no believe me. I used to go on a doctor who forum. The "people who took over's" knowledge is not as extensive as they claim. This isn't a criticism, it's possible to go too far in that direction e.g. the things Ian Levine used to send to Eric Saward with continuity corrections or fandom problems in the 80s. RTD fell into the trap of being wowed by fanzine people. I take your point that David Tennant was much more up than others though. Many people have the same opinion as me, except funnily enough the fanzine and fanfiction obsessives, who think it's great (wouldn't anybody find it flattering).

Mr Pig

They should have begged Christopher Eccleston to stay. And stopped Dr Who falling in love with people.

Fair enough, he was the best Doctor ever, but that's a bit like saying Lee Ryan was the best member of Blue! Let's face it, Dr Who is pretty sh** and always has been. Sometimes it's slightly less st** but it's still sh**. If you improved it then it wouldn't be Dr Who.

Top Bottom