Cycle camera that isn't a gopro and takes AA batteries?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
Can anyone recommend a camera that:
1 - Isn't a Gopro (I'd like something a little more discreet!)
2 - Runs on AA batteries
OR
- Has a battery life of at least 3 hours recording time and is removable with spares available
OR
- Can be charged and continue recording at the same time from an external power source

3 - Costs ideally not more than £130 once the memory card is also factored in.
4 - Can be helmet or handlebar mounted (or has a standard camera mount, in which case all the brackets are avalable on the internet).

A big ask I know for that money. However, it's the battery life that's really important. I do 3 hours of commuting a day - sometimes longer if I go somewhere on my way back and it has to last the whole thing ideally without having to be charged again at work. Battery life usually decreases in the cold so I really want it to still be able to last that time in the winter too.

Any help appreciated!

crazyjoe101

I have regularly got 3+ hours out of my ROAM 2 @720p 30fps, however the battery is non-removable. The camera is a bit bulky, but it doesn't look so obviously like a camera when compared to GoPro and they're a bargain now that the ROAM 3 is out. The main drawbacks to the camera are the poor low light recording and the mic's wind noise (the latter of which can be rectified with either time or money). The ROAM 3 has some slight improvements in that you can set two setting profiles to switch between and the low light quality is significantly improved over the 2, yet still not as good as some other cameras.

If you work around a computer you can charge a camera mid day, I think you might be able to charge from a mains USB charger too although I've never tried this.

I'm sure someone else will have more up to date knowledge but I can reccomend the ROAM 2 as a bomb proof, wallet friendly option for commuting, it really is a matter of fit and forget; perfect for a commute. You get enough in low light to see what happens but you won't capture anything too far away and you'll have to read a number plate if you want to get it.

If you watch a few review videos of the popular cameras you'll hear about the other cameras around or possibly see a comparison, you just have to find a good reviewer who actually knows what they're talking about. Here's one to start you off.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8_TJn0DgsY

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Thanks for that. I'd come across that brand via Cyclegaz's profile so I'll definitely watch that review through when I have a bit of time - thanks!

Do you know off hand whether or not it can record while it charges? That for me eliminates and concerns regarding the battery as I will always just be able to power it externally.

crazyjoe101

Thanks for that. I'd come across that brand via Cyclegaz's profile so I'll definitely watch that review through when I have a bit of time - thanks!

Do you know off hand whether or not it can record while it charges? That for me eliminates and concerns regarding the battery as I will always just be able to power it externally.
You won't be able to charge this camera as you ride as the rear of the camera bust be open for the camera to be connected to a computer or power source, which would allow water to enter the camera. As I said though, I think you should get 3 hours @30fps once you've 'broken' the camera in. All of the (recent) footage on the channel in my sig was taken at those settings on a ROAM 2 and have retained most detail through rendering if you want to see some examples. Are you able to top the camera upwhen you arrive at work?

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
I can, but it's awkward and I'd have to leave it lying around without me in attendance sometimes. Not the be all and end all though I suppose. I don't have one at all at the moment, so if it only gets half my ride back I guess it doesn't really matter. It's only for a little extra protection, in case something happens. Just reading a couple of written reviews and I see it can take stills every second. Presumably using it to record in that way would probably extend the life of the battery anyway.

Top Bottom