Cycle death case handling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Keir Starmer had ample opportunity to resolve this on his watch and failed to do so.

snorri

Legendary Member
You should still be able to see the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC iPlayer and get the whole story.
It has nothing to do with presumed liability which does not apply in any part of the UK.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Martin Porter QC said: "They're looking at cycling as a dangerous activity. Their emphasis then, and the emphasis of some coroners, is upon whether a cyclist is wearing a crash helmet or high visibility equipment, rather than on whether the people driving in the vicinity of vulnerable road users like cyclists are taking the appropriate amount of care not to collide with them."

Suzette Davenport, roads policing lead for National Police Chiefs' Council, said: "I wouldn't do that, because it's too busy, there are too many risks.

i just copied the above from that report, if that is the view of the police surely they should be doing more to educate drivers, I honestly believe all drivers should attend a driver awareness course, I did after being caught speeding, rather than take the points and a fine I opted for a driver awareness course and it was by far one of the best driving related courses i have ever been on. I enjoyed what I thought was going to be a boring day, it taught me a lot about hazard awareness, as well as the potential outcome of speeding etc.
i have been driving for many years and thought "I knew it all" I didn't and now I can safely say I am a more considerate driver and i am a damn sight more aware of my surroundings and potential hazards when driving, I would go as far as to say it has given me more hazard perception when I am cycling too.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
You should still be able to see the Victoria Derbyshire programme on BBC iPlayer and get the whole story.
It has nothing to do with presumed liability which does not apply in any part of the UK.
Yes, I posted this on the Michael Mason thread yesterday:

Michael Mason's daughter, Anna Tatton-Brown did a feature on whether the legal system is biased against cyclists on the Victoria Derbyshire slot on BBC News this morning. The link is here -http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06jt5ds/victoria-derbyshire-26102015 (Starts at 27 minutes in)

There's a shorter clip that's been shown since as part of today's general news but I think it's all covered in the link above.

EDIT: trawling through the recording, I see that there's also a panel discussion at 01:29:00

Karlt

Very confused article; Presumed Liability has absolutely sweet FA to do with whether a case goes to prosecution. Presumed liability is about who's liable for damages under civil law. Prosecution is about whether a person has violated the criminal law. They are quite separate things.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I see three separate stories/points rolled into one.

1.) The CPS say that they should be the ones making the decision to prosecute in all death cases, not the police.
2.) Police should not presume that the driver is not at fault when investigating an accident - after all the dead tell no tales.
3.) Certain members of the police are to scared to ride in London.

I fully agree with 1 and 2. For number 3, I agree that they may be scared to ride, but perhaps the police, government and society as a whole should remedy it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Very confused article;.

That's what happens when you get the journalist trying to make the facts fit a pre-determined view.

It's like building a house from the roof downwards.

Ms Tatton-Brown is the daughter of Mr Mason.

She decided long ago the system failed in the Mason case, so her 'investigation' is nothing of the sort.

It is no more than a campaigner's rant.

Nothing wrong with that, it's part of what campaigners do.

But it's dishonest to portray it as a piece of investigative journalism.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Ms Tatton-Brown is the daughter of Mr Mason.

She decided long ago the system failed in the Mason case, so her 'investigation' is nothing of the sort.
I seem to recall your view was that the system worked perfectly because the police did everything that the system says they should do

Top Bottom