Cycle detection system fitted to York university buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
You have actually looked at how this system works (or rather doesn't) haven't you?

Why should I wear a tag just because a driver can't be arsed to drive with due care and attention?
With driverless trucks due on Londons roads, depending on the outcome of the motorway trial period, now in 2018. I'd have thought some may have.

http://www.cyclealert.com

think the more cities bus/ LGV's get this the better
Good lord - they've given drivers a pair of eyes! Bloody brilliant! Who'd a thunk it! Such a simple, cost-effective, elegant solution ....... oh ......

oh dear

...... until I read the link. The driver no longer needs to use his eyes and mirrors; he will have no responsibility any more. Instead of looking at the road around him, he looks at ... an LED board; VERY informative.

So now it will be reported that it was all the cyclist's fault, because s/he didn't have EITHER a helmet OR a sensor ... or FFS, a fully charged battery.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Farm, they are even charging you a fiver for the privilege. You couldn't make it up.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
http://www.cyclealert.com

think the more cities bus/ LGV's get this the better
I totally disagree, fitting devices like this to buses etc will only result in complacency in the vehicle driver, they will become reliant on the electronic device and fail to do the normal mirror checking which could potentially lead to the injury or death of a cyclist or pedestrian. I know we all have a responsibility to ride / drive / walk safely whilst on the roads and imo electronic gadgetry will only lead to more incidents.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Not only victim blaming but positive victim culpability. Brilliant, let's get two.

The people's front of Judea appear alive and well and making policy statements again too.

OP
OP
SonicRob

SonicRob

yeah if it was a free app or something that did it and also maybe warmed cyclist not to go down the inside of long buses trucks etc. It's not perfect but its a start

Tim Hall

yeah if it was a free app or something that did it and also maybe warmed cyclist not to go down the inside of long buses trucks etc. It's not perfect but its a start
No it's not. It's diverting the attention away from where it's needed - having drivers look, having vehicles on the road with good visibility, that sort of thing.

I see from their website that Keltbray are a customer. They run a lot of wagons, so it will be interesting to see which product they've bought, as I think Cyclealert provide stuff other than the tag based system. I feel an email coming on.

Top Bottom