Cycle detection system fitted to York university buses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
yeah if it was a free app or something that did it and also maybe warmed cyclist not to go down the inside of long buses trucks etc. It's not perfect but its a start
Doesn't matter whether it is free or not, the fact remains that vehicles should be equipped with mirrors suitably placed and drivers with enough brains and consideration for other road users to use those mirrors. the fact remains that electronic inanimate object will never have the ability to react the same way a human being does.
Ask yourself this, twenty cyclists in london all commuting to work on their bikes, eighteen of them have the "app" or the required wireless dongle to trigger the bus / truck proximity alert on their person, two cyclists do not have the app or the dongle, would it then be acceptable for those two cyclists to become victims of an RTA because the driver of the vehicle was listening out for an audible alert rather than watching his/her mirrors?

their video is terrible. The cyclist is put in danger twice, and both times, their device wouldn't help. 1st is the close pass that is so close she's buffeted by the wind and then the driver pulls up to the intersection when she's already there. So she's only in his blind spot because he stopped in a position where he could no longer see her. He could have avoided the problem issue by stopping a foot behind her, and letting her through the intersection before he turned. He certainly doesn't need her to be carrying an electronic device to know she is there; he just needs a memory longer than a goldfish.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQOUxrj_y_c

OP
OP
SonicRob

SonicRob

surely you could say the same about cyclist that chose not to wear hi viz , have no or very poor lights on there bikes , don't wear a helmet , check the bike to make sure the breaks work on it etc etc. If there is a technology there that helps road users be more away of each other then you would surely rather have it than not. Im not saying this tag is the answer, its not, but its a start. The sooner google and all these companies sort out self drive cars and wagons then the better for all of us as they will detect other cars, cyclists around corners and hopefully pedestrians , but we may all have to wear of have some kind of tech on us for that to happen.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
surely you could say the same about cyclist that chose not to wear hi viz , have no or very poor lights on there bikes , don't wear a helmet , check the bike to make sure the breaks work on it etc etc. If there is a technology there that helps road users be more away of each other then you would surely rather have it than not. Im not saying this tag is the answer, its not, but its a start. The sooner google and all these companies sort out self drive cars and wagons then the better for all of us as they will detect other cars, cyclists around corners and hopefully pedestrians , but we may all have to wear of have some kind of tech on us for that to happen.
You were doing quite well ( apart from the appalling spelling) but then you said "hopefully" which just about sums up the whole idea of electronic devices fitted to vehicles to "hopefully" detect cyclists etc.

OP
OP
SonicRob

SonicRob

i have dyslexia (which i have to google how to spell) It's ok talking the line I'm a cyclist so tuff , but are people who only drive going to come up with something or someway for us to be safer (better education/understanding) no, so its down to us the cyclist

steve50

Disenchanted Member
i have dyslexia (which i have to google how to spell) It's ok talking the line I'm a cyclist so tuff , but are people who only drive going to come up with something or someway for us to be safer (better education/understanding) no, so its down to us the cyclist
Apologies, i did not intend to offend you and i should have thought it through before typing my response .

classic33

Leg End Member
With driverless truck trials due in London in 2018, dependent on the outcome of the motorway trials next year. Are we headed down the route of wearing this sort of thing becoming the norm?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And will the tags be yellow stars, pink triangles, red triangles or white squares?

Quaint to find someone who still seems to think that helmets and hi viz can stop an incompetent trucker, too.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along

And the one time you forget your piece of tech or are they expected to be attached onto every piece of clothing you are ever likely to wear on a bike - we don't all just have a few sets of lycra kit and a do Sunday 60 miler as our riding habit - normal everyday cycling in normal everyday clothes is a thing that happens too!

& will they be made a legal compulsion in all motor vehicles - like MOT's and Insurance and Tax Discs are/were? even those that are only temporary &/or visiting this country ........all those non UK trucks we see on the roads for one........

I'm at the more moderate end of the bikes v cars debate on here and am happy to accept my share of responsibility for my own safety: decent lights that work and are aligned right, sam browne belt over a dark top (better contrast than the ubiquitous builders vest), pedal and other reflectors a must on all my bikes etc, even the M520 SPD's I used had platforms fitted on one side, bikes are well maintained and regularly attended to: but this is a step too far down the road of me looking after myself to the exclusion of any responsibility from the people in the killing devices to operate them in a safe, courteous and attentive way.

This technology is not going to help all road users be more aware of each other, it will only give vehicle drivers another excuse for mentally tuning out of what is around them and into the radio or their phone call or what a crap day they expect or have just had at work or how much they are looking forward to.......

This is into the territory of this drink driving cretin and her victim blaming mania.

http://road.cc/content/news/186698-...st-launched-petition-calling-compulsory-cycle

(To paraphrase: yes I may have been deliberately engaging in a longstanding well understood criminal activity that is as socially acceptable as drinking the blood of children in Asda's cafe when I killed a human being and drove off but if he'd been wearing a polystyrene hat, it would all have been fine!)

or the bottom half of any media outlet comments on cycling or KSI's of cyclists on the roads or those friends/colleagues we all have who will speak with total ignorance and often quite despicably about cyclists.
There have even been judicial criticisms and/or comments on cyclists attire, even in cases where it is accepted the prevailing conditions would have made no difference to wearing hi viz etc or not.

we and those people invariably doing nothing wrong nor illegal. (IIRC 80:20 proportion of Driver : Cyclist 'blame' in investigated serious incidents)

it panders to a degree of ignorance in all senses of the word and victim blaming of a level that would see women(*) expected to be going out dressed in victorian modesty neck to ankle length dresses and chastity belts to avoid the chances of making themselves the subject of sexual assault.

(*) deliberate specific although it targets a particular group only in the way that these tags target only cyclists, not other people that can legitimately be in the roadway.

Helmets: well debated elsewhere and rightly having their own ghetto on here but they are not a safety device that alert inattentive drivers to your presence nor repel cars from hitting you nor offer anywhere near the same level of protection as (e.g.) motorcycle crash helmets. head injuries are also only a relatively small proportion of the KSI's that cyclists fall victim to.

This lorry driver had received extra training, was in a modern lorry with all the safety features you could want, the driver had attended a cycle training course and he killed a cyclist because he was "tidying his cab" and turning without indicating:

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crim...st-after-widowers-plea-to-judge-a3228116.html

These stupid beeping things are an idiotic idea. They are counter-productive and a silly diversion. It's like an absurd arms race, have a flashing light, have a flashing light that's the shape of a cyclist, have a flashing hologram of a cyclist that rides alongside the real cyclist, have a flashing hologram of a cyclist twice the size of the real cyclist. What a crock.

Top Bottom