Cycle Event, Knutsford, Cheshire 19/20 Sept

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As I drove past Tatton Park, outskirts of Knutsford, I saw some AA style signs warning of road closures and a cycle event this weekend - 19/20 September.

Does anyone have an info on this? I work in Knutsford and haven't seen anything advertised. My wife is away in Budapest this weekend so the cycling world is my oyster, if there is a good event going on I'd like to join in.

thanks

Curlylox

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Local authority obviously happy to close the road 'cos there is crappy running involved.
singed;)
'they never close roads for 99.9%sportives'

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As an after thought does anyone know of a sportive or similar this weekend in the north-west - broadly speaking. My wife has set off to Budapest for a girly weekend. Plan is to get home early Friday do the housework and then I'm looking for a good ride, something different from my usual routes around Lancashire.

Any ideas?

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
andy_wrx said:

I do know large parts of this route, everything north and east of Dalton in fact, at 35 miles I'd be 2 miles from home (if the route goes were I think it does there's a bit of a climb after White Coppice! Swing round a corner after a bridge over the stream feed to the resevoir and then straight up :smile: ) I don't know the other bits. As I found myself lost and without a map in Golborne and Billinge last Sunday it could be good to do this and find some new roads. Last Sunday I ended up having to take the A49 back to Wigan to get my bearings again!

The Welsh ride would be too much climbing for me.

I was also thinking about the Cheshire Cycleway, the bits I've seen signposted look good.

The Cheshire Cycleway is good, nice ride on a sunny day.

However, I get the impression that the signs for it were put up a few years ago and a few are now missing, so I'd recommend downloading the route leaflet (Google it, it's available as PDF on Cheshire County Council's website or somewhere similar) which has a map on it. It's not good enough on its own, but if you have a OS map or even page out of a decent road atlas, you can then work-out the route easily from the two, just in case you come to a junction and there's no sign.

If you don't want big hills, take the signposted shortcut at Henbury (Eastern end of route, near Macc) and avoid Bollington, Lamaload, Wildboarclough.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thanks Andy, you've pretty much read my mind. I had already found the map and I'm planning to study it in more detail tonight. I shall try to find a station I can easily get to early tomorrow, the forecast is good, and then do about 70-80 miles to another station so I can get home again. Then I'm thinking I shall get over to Knowsley on Sunday!!

While the cats away, the mouse will cycle!

many thanks

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well I had a really good day, despite a few hiccups along the way. I now know the route was originally devised by Bob Clift and if the section I have ridden today is anything to go by he enjoyed quiet, fast (in cycling terms) roads that meander all around. A lovely route.

Depsite having little to do I was late leaving for my train and did the 10 miles to Preston station in 32 minutes - which impressed me! The guard held the train when he saw me coming and even re-opened the doors, I knew it would be a good day from then! I decided to take the train to Chester, ride to Congleton and then take a train back to Chorley. I marked all the relevant villages on road atlas pages, downloaded the PDF and set off. You do need a map, the PDF is not enough.

Arrived in Chester, parked the bike outside the Gents on the station concourse, came out and got threatened with a fine by the station jobsworth for not using the cycle parking area! Outside the station entrance a large poster proclaims Chester as a cycling city, well a few sign posts at the station would help! This I find a common problem, you take the train to a place with a designated cycle route and there are no directions from the station. Daft! For anyone wanting to follow this route on coming out of the station go straight ahead following the signs saying City centre via City Road, turn left at the lights for the A41 Whitchurch, pass a cycle shop on the left, then take the first left to the canal towpath, turn right on to the towpath and stay on here until you run out of tarmac at bridge 119. This is Waverton. Turn right into the car park, left out of the car park, pass the school first left and you are on the Cheshire cycleway.

Generally I found the signposts quite easily though it's worth glancing behind you when passing a junction as sometmes the signs are actually on the turning you should have taken! I came unstuck in two places, the first being Tilston. You arrive from Duckington at a T-junction, signposted Malpas left and I forget the right names. I turned right as I knew I had to go through several other villages before heading to Malpas. After 0.5 miles I found the CC sign which appeared to send me straight on, which I did until I hit the A534 at Barton which I knew was wrong so doubled back and headed straight to Malpas where just after the Coop there is a left turn to No Man's Heath and about 0.25 miles along here one picks up the signs again. The problem in Tilston is there is a strange little loop out to Stretton before returning back to Tilston and the on to Shocklach. I went through Stretton and either missed the signs or there weren't any. Sufficient to say the signage was poor in this area.

Next signage problem came in Barthomley where I now know one has to follow a left turn to Crewe, I think some joker has twizzled the sign around. Any way the road signs said Alsager straight on, knowing Alsager was then just a hop to Congleton my mind started to think of train and home. I turned on to the B5077 for Alsager and the road was closed, ignored this and carried on to discover the road really was closed and there was no chance of getting through as workmen actually stopped me trying to walk through! A bit of time with the map showed I could either divert towards Stoke and the A500 (no thanks) or go back to Barthomley, take the Crewe turn and get to Alsager that way. Did this and then started to pick up CC signs again so followed them to a point where I was asked to turn left on to an unmade road. Did this, against my better judgement, and ended up in Winterley and no signs to be seen.

It was now 5.20, and I reckoned I needed at least two hours to get home. A quick look at the map sent me straight to Crewe station where I had lots of choices for trains back to Chorley.

Had a really good day, I'd recommend these roads to anyone, but take care at the two points above. The route is very, very quiet, the roads are fast, I averaged 15.3 and was riding at 17-22 for long distances, and the geography is very kind, nothing one could describe as a hill! The average being affected by messing about in Chester and the above. Total distance, including 15 miles to and from stations at home, 88 miles.

potsy

Rambler
User3094 said:
As an aside, on a normal day, if you cycle to Tatton you get in for free.
I discovered this a few weeks ago it's now my fave place for a little weekend ride just about 20 miles round trip for me.

moolarb

andy_wrx said:
The Cheshire Cycleway is good, nice ride on a sunny day.

However, I get the impression that the signs for it were put up a few years ago and a few are now missing, so I'd recommend downloading the route leaflet (Google it, it's available as PDF on Cheshire County Council's website or somewhere similar) which has a map on it. It's not good enough on its own, but if you have a OS map or even page out of a decent road atlas, you can then work-out the route easily from the two, just in case you come to a junction and there's no sign.

If you don't want big hills, take the signposted shortcut at Henbury (Eastern end of route, near Macc) and avoid Bollington, Lamaload, Wildboarclough.

Good shortcut tip, there are some seriously steep (though quite short) hills in that area. The one past Lamaload reservoir always takes me by surprise - it goes very steep very quickly just as you come round the bend and if you're not in the right gear you've had it - I think it starts off about 20% then 'levels off' to about 17%. Coming the other direction is very hairy and I'm not sure I'd do it without disc brakes. You could easily top 50mph without pedalling and there's a sharp bend at the bottom :biggrin:. There's also another bitch of a hill on that route just past Wildboarclough just as you swing round Macc forest towards Langley. I don't know for sure but I'd say it's 20% and it's longer too.

Top Bottom