Cycle Gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peanut_77

Hi, I'm starting to get a little more serious on my bike now and am looking to venture into the mystical world of cycle gear! I would like some advice on shorts/tights, jerseys and the dreaded transfer to cycle shoes.
Ideally I would like to spend as little as possible and have come across places like Decathlon, Planet X & FDX. Any ideas would be welcomed.

Cheers

*Dusty*

Returning Hero.
There's quite a list and it does add considerable expense to the purchase of a bike.

I got my helmet and shorts from Planet X. £15 each I. A flash Friday sale, bought two pairs of bib shorts.
Shimano pedals I had
Shimano shoes I had from tweeks ages ago
Top and gilet from cycle store
Misc bits like an under helmet head warmer from Planet X.
Gloves I had from mtb
Saddlebag from chain reaction.
Waterproof jacket I bought from lidl ages ago for about £8 and it's been brilliant.

Total spend about £100 but to me it's a one off. I don't need ten tops and 6 helmets, I'll replace bits and bobs as I go along and if needs be I'll spend a wee bit extra on each item as I go. They're not all likely to need replacing at the same time I hope!!

This is quite a good wee website

http://www.bikebargains.co.uk/latest/

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mystical? Dreaded? You do know it's not essential, don't you? I've been riding decades and my main concessions to special clothes are a preference for underwear without seams under my backside (FFS is it any wonder people don't walk or cycle when their sensitive areas get chafed if they do? The health minister should ban silly seams) and thermal base layers at this time of year.

Everything else is just choice. Wear it if you like. Don't if you don't. Cycle. Be happy.

subaqua

What’s the point
Decathlon are really good for shorts and tights. my cold winter kit is the football training legging things. cost me a tenner each and go over my padded shorts if i need to keep legs warm .

wiggle have some good sales , and i am proper impressed with delivery as i ordered stuff on Thursday evening and i am now about to go out in it !

yerteasoot

There are some good bargains in Halfords just now, they were doing Altura jerseys in red for only £17 and I got a pair of Altura Evo padded tights for £25. Excellent price for a really great product

OP
OP
P

Peanut_77

Thanks folks appreciate all your advice, I've decided to go with FDX bib tights & jersey both well priced and I've just purchased shimano ro88 shoes with shimano R540 pedals All this for less than £100.

Cheers

Top Bottom