Cycle lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
In general I am not in favour of cycle lanes, but this one looks really good. On busy roads I think ones like this could be a real benefit and encourage people to cycle who currently do not.
5840398843_41af396ca7.jpg

http://waronthemotorist.wordpress.com/2011/07/07/return-to-glasgow/

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Like the idea. I would put it to Glasgow council that on each island they need one extra bollard...

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The important things are the start and end. How does it look there?

If it leads to another crappy cycle lane full with debris and parked cars, then it ruins the image that was just painted.

Norm

In general I am not in favour of cycle lanes, but this one looks really good. On busy roads I think ones like this could be a real benefit and encourage people to cycle who currently do not.
Is that two way?

If it is, I wouldn't go near it. Sorry but it looks way too narrow.

Norm

From the parking in that picture (sorry, I didn't read the blog in full) it looks like it's a one way street for motorised traffic anyway.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
From the parking in that picture (sorry, I didn't read the blog in full) it looks like it's a one way street for motorised traffic anyway.

Yes, there's a sign that says it is one-way (it's probably why it was done at all). It depends what bit you're talking about. I was also looking at the next road along that appears to be two-way (might not be) and has the path restart on the other side of the road :wacko:. Still two lanes for a one way street is overly generous, they have space to nick a bit more.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
we have one here that runs parallel to the A55 ( dual carriageway) and I am very pleased that it does. It makes me feel a lot safer when I hear the cars going past at 70 + mph!
I dont always use the ones in town though, I use my own jugdment for that.

GrasB

Veteran
That's a 2 way cycle lane & I wouldn't go near that thing! way to narrow if I meet a cyclist going in the opposite direction.

sabian92

Über Member
I don't even know why the councils in this country bother with cycle lanes. The money would be better spent educating idiots on the road on how terrifying them driving 6 inches from us at 50mph is.

ohnovino

Large Member
If that's a one-way road, why can't they just have a wide contraflow cycle lane, and let bikes going the other way ride with the traffic?

Top Bottom