Cycle or Helmet Video Cameras

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mick1836

Über Member
A search has resulted in plenty of postings regarding video footage from cyclists but none on any recommendations for cameras.

My question is with cameras on ebay and on other sites ranging in price from just over £20 to £100's just what is the best camera to buy?
I would hate to spend £100's if a £20 one gives just as good footage?

Any advice would be appreciated :smile:

L14M

Über Member
More expensive = better. Rule of thumb the good ones are, drifts gopros and contors...

Liam

SS Retro

[QUOTED1836, post: 3045642, member: 35690"]
What is the best camera to buy?
Any advice would . appreciated :smile:[/QUOTE]

None! Dosent matter how much you spend the footage will still only be 'how many times you were nearly killed and irate motorists'. :tongue:

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
@mick1836 : you get what you pay for, generally. The GoPro cameras are quite good, particularly their latest, the Hero3+. You can of course get cameras a lot cheaper, but something has to give when you spend less, e.g. video quality, waterproof rating, etc. I'm no expert here, though: my sum total of sports video cameras (so far) are the GoPro Hero (original), Hero3 and more recently the Hero3+. I haven't tried any others. Some of the more dedicated cycle-cammers on here, e.g. @gaz, could give you far better information than I :smile:.

Someone I know was involved (as a witness) in an accident. They wear a a 'headcam"

The Police were delighted as everything they needed on the video was there.

The problem with a bike mount is that it only shows a fixed view. A headcam always shows what you see.

OP
OP
mick1836

mick1836

Über Member
Someone I know was involved (as a witness) in an accident. They wear a a 'headcam"

The Police were delighted as everything they needed on the video was there.

The problem with a bike mount is that it only shows a fixed view. A headcam always shows what you see.

Think IF I get one I'd mount it on my helmet in order to video what YOU see and not were your cycle is travelling

It can also be useful.

I had a case where the driver claimed I was "all over the road", and hadn't either signalled or looked

Fortunately the travel was recorded as were the looks to left and right and an arm stuck out!

He changed his story after his managers showed him the video.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dogcam bullet cams get decent reviews too and are tad less obvious on a helmet, could probably also fit in an elasticated band if you're not (always) into wearing a helmet but want a riders eye view. They have come with a choice of open ended cap for capturing audio or closed one for waterproofness.

I flirted with the notion of them but decided it would be one more bit of faff detracting from just get on and pedal.

Obvious is good!

There is a junction on my commute where despite taking the Primary in the inside lane, traffic still pulls alongside in the outside lane and signals a left turn!
A quick tap on the camera and it is amazing how many people change their minds

Reactions: gaz

BSRU

A Human Being
The new HX-A500 from Panasonic is a two part camera so less extra weight on the helmet.
The main cameras, GoPro, Sony and Contour all have advantages and disadvantages.
I've have all three and currently use the Sony as it has good battery life, good image and excellent low light performance.
If the GoPro Hero 4 is released with a back lit sensor I might buy it.

Reactions: gaz

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
The new HX-A500 from Panasonic is a two part camera so less extra weight on the helmet.
The main cameras, GoPro, Sony and Contour all have advantages and disadvantages.
I've have all three and currently use the Sony as it has good battery life, good image and excellent low light performance.
If the GoPro Hero 4 is released with a back lit sensor I might buy it.
I don't know what the Hero 3+ does with its low light mode but it is definitely closing the gap on the sony.
The only things the sony has bad going for it at the moment is the small fish eye that is noticeable and the lack of mounts (is that still a problem? ) the colour however is way better than any of the other cameras.

It will be interesting to see how the panasonic is going to do. Do people want to go back to the two piece camera? V.I.O isn't doing so well any more as these single piece cameras have become a lot better!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
To answer the OPs question
What do you want from the camera?
You can guy cheap and ok cameras, but they are cheap for various reasons:
  • not waterproof
  • bad picture quality
  • bad sound
  • minimum mounting options
  • no support
The good cameras are a lot because they have a lot of options, making them properly waterproof, plenty of ways to mount them and the best sound and picture quality.

Personally the best buy for the past few years has been the Contour ROAM. You can mount it anywhere, on the bike on the helmet and it will work just fine. The ROAM 2 is currently £134.99 on amazon, you will need to buy a vented helmet mount if you want to put it on your helmet and the bike mount if you want to put it on your handlebars. Although personally I would go with a custom RAM mount on the bike but it will cost a bit more.

Top Bottom