Cycle Parking - Who owns it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Recycle

Über Member
My commute is bike/train with my exit point at Feltham station. I have a foldup but although folded bikes are allowed, its awkward during peak periods because the trains run at 150% capacity. I would willingly pay for secure parking at the station and have a bike at either end of my rail commute.

Today I did something out of my routine by exiting the station on the "wrong" side for my commute and saw to my amazement that Feltham has newly installed excellent secure enclosed and covered bike parking. Access to the parking is by swipe card. The information board states that only season ticket holders qualify for swipe cards and they are issued on a first come first serve basis. The parking is completely empty - OK its a Saturday but still the parking has the appearance of never been used - so I figured that applying for a swipe card should be a doddle.

I went to the ticket office, presented my season ticket, and here is the bizarre bit. My season ticket is not issued by SW trains, so I don't qualify! I can't find any info on SW trains web site, but I find it hard to believe that a facility that is ultimately public funded can have an exclusive policy of this nature. This parking will turn into a white elephant and then be held up as an example of bike facilities being a waste of money!

Any tips on where I can enquire further? I don't want to let this go.

Freds Dad

Veteran
Is it owned by Network Rail?

Are you referring to one of these:
14076116585_5c75115453_z.jpg

This is I am afraid another example of the increasing mutual support and back scratching of some networks and Brompton

As a non SWT season ticket holder you may hire one of these bikes from the dock for a mere £400 - £1800 per year on the grounds that it means they can exclude more and more bikes from the rail service.

Given that buying a Brompton per year is as cheap or cheaper (depending on the service yo buy) it will only work if you can be forced to use it.

SWT are trying to guarantee this by now limiting the size of folders... SWT now (officially) accepts "small folder that can fit into a lugage space"

I.e. a Brompton, excluding Dahon and many others.

I am not sure whether I am more appalled by the blatant attempt by SWT to reduce bicycle carriage even further or the complicity of Brompton in this restriction

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Are you referring to one of these:...
No, I should have taken a picture. It's the type of double decker parking that allows a full size bikes to be stored one above the other. The top deck is cantilevered to allow the bike to be easily slotted in and lifted. Richmond station has the same type of facility but without the secure enclosure.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
upload_2014-10-25_17-25-4.png

This is an example of the type of rack. Feltham station has two of these, one is enclosed.

Funding it seems was secured from DfT so these are wholly publicly funded facilities. I can't see on what basis SWT can make the facilities exclusive to SWT season ticket holders only.

classic33

Leg End Member
SWT will manage the station on behalf of Network Rail.
Much in the same way Northern Rail manage most of the local stations near me.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
SWT will manage the station on behalf of Network Rail.
Much in the same way Northern Rail manage most of the local stations near me.
Yes I'm sure that's true, but station facilities should be available to all ticket holders, not just tickets issued by SWT. My season ticket is from Caterham to Feltham and is issued by Southern Rail. That shouldn't exclude me from using Feltham station facilities.

classic33

Leg End Member
Yes I'm sure that's true, but station facilities should be available to all ticket holders, not just tickets issued by SWT. My season ticket is from Caterham to Feltham and is issued by Southern Rail. That shouldn't exclude me from using Feltham station facilities.
It shouldn't. I can leave my bike in any of the local stations, if I want to.
Telephone number if you feel like trying. 0345 6000 650. Showing as manned until 23:30 tonight.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
As a non SWT season ticket holder you may hire one of these bikes from the dock for a mere £400 - £1800 per year on the grounds that it means they can exclude more and more bikes from the rail service.
If Brompton are complicit in this deal then they drop more than a few points in my estimation.

I can't "benefit" from the Brompton hire scheme because they aren't available from Feltham. I think they are trying to emulate the Dutch system which bans bikes on peak services but provides secure parking at stations so you can leave a bike at each end. The irony is that I am trying to achieve SWT objective of not traveling with a bike on a train. It's their policy which is preventing me from doing so. Someone hasn't thought this through.

Brompton now sponsors the cycling leaflet as well!

Note the first paragraph:

All cycles are carried free of charge
on UK domestic services (with the
exception of some special events).
Fully folded cycles, with wheels up to
a size of 20” in diameter, are carried
without restriction on all trains. You
may be required to cover the cycle and
place it in a luggage rack.

How many non-Bromptons fit he less than 20" wheels and fit in a luggage rack?

Top Bottom