Cycle Parking - Who owns it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
When is your season ticket due for renewal?
1st week of November, but there's an additional layer of bureaucracy I haven't mentioned. You must be a season ticket holder of at least 3 months, which I am, but not with SWT.

The additional layer of bureaucracy is another example of a policy not thought through. 3 months qualification would make sense if there is a high demand for the enclosed parking, but according to the notice its been available for a few months and as yet looks unused.

procel

SWT will manage the station on behalf of Network Rail.
Much in the same way Northern Rail manage most of the local stations near me.

Local TOCs don't just manage the station, but have a legal leasehold on it (usually the station buildings and the land around it, but not the tracks or 1.5m of the platform back from the edge). Unless there's something to the contrary in the grant contract from the DfT, SWT can operate the bike parking how they like, and the gen.public have no more right to the benefit of it than they do to the benefit of a leasehold flat owner's loft insulation paid by a government grant.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
ATOC (Association of Train Operating Companies) defines common policy between train operating companies, including use of station facilities. Seems a logical place to escalate. I have also e-mailed Dave Holladay from CTC who has in the past dealt with CTC's rail campaigning direction.

OP
OP
Recycle

Recycle

Über Member
Do they have a station manager?.
I spoke to the station manager today who not only confirmed the info issued by the ticket office, but added the additional piece of irrational information: "Overnight parking is not permitted in the secure facility, it is intended for daytime use only". What? So shift workers - of which Heathrow has many - are excluded from these facilities ?

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I spoke to the station manager today who not only confirmed the info issued by the ticket office, but added the additional piece of irrational information: "Overnight parking is not permitted in the secure facility, it is intended for daytime use only". What? So shift workers - of which Heathrow has many - are excluded from these facilities ?
Station Manager needs to get a dose of common sense- presumably he/she has the authority to change the station's rules?

Tryinghard

My commute is bike/train with my exit point at Feltham station. I have a foldup but although folded bikes are allowed, its awkward during peak periods because the trains run at 150% capacity. I would willingly pay for secure parking at the station and have a bike at either end of my rail commute.

Today I did something out of my routine by exiting the station on the "wrong" side for my commute and saw to my amazement that Feltham has newly installed excellent secure enclosed and covered bike parking. Access to the parking is by swipe card. The information board states that only season ticket holders qualify for swipe cards and they are issued on a first come first serve basis. The parking is completely empty - OK its a Saturday but still the parking has the appearance of never been used - so I figured that applying for a swipe card should be a doddle.

I went to the ticket office, presented my season ticket, and here is the bizarre bit. My season ticket is not issued by SW trains, so I don't qualify! I can't find any info on SW trains web site, but I find it hard to believe that a facility that is ultimately public funded can have an exclusive policy of this nature. This parking will turn into a white elephant and then be held up as an example of bike facilities being a waste of money!

Any tips on where I can enquire further? I don't want to let this go.

Hi did you ever resolve this
I too need secure bike parking at Feltham Station

Tryinghard

Good luck with that . They have just closed it for ten months .
No it’s open now and being used
We live opposite

Top Bottom