Cycle shirt colour to avoid bugs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jimmybog

Need to get a new cycle shirt for summer and have a choice of two colours: Red or Black. I need a colour which will not attract bugs such as rapeseed bugs. Does anyone know which of the two colours mentioned will best suit my needs please? Thx

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I only seem to have trouble with yellow or white ones, mostly yellow. I'd have thought black would be least likely with red not very.

Schneil

Veteran
Seconded on avoiding yellow. I was a moving target for lots of little black flies in East Yorkshire a few years back (?Thunderbugs?). I was wearing a Decathalon yellow jersey and it's still got fly stains from where I accidentally splatted the little critters.

Schneil

Veteran
Need to get a new cycle shirt for summer and have a choice of two colours: Red or Black. I need a colour which will not attract bugs such as rapeseed bugs. Does anyone know which of the two colours mentioned will best suit my needs please? Thx
Seconded on avoiding yellow. I was a moving target for lots of little black flies in East Yorkshire a few years back (?Thunderbugs?). I was wearing a Decathalon yellow jersey and it's still got fly stains from where I accidentally splatted the little critters.

Actually I think rapeseed bugs might be the same thing as thunderbugs, so definitely avoid yellow!

OP
OP
J

jimmybog

Thanks everyone, appreciate your help. I have been wearing yellow and have attracted swarms of them. Have now ordered a black/blue jersey

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I try to avoid black - not because of the bugs, but the heat. I find the bugs avoid my shirt and aim for my mouth.

Angry Blonde

Über Member
image.jpg
Venus fly trap shirt ?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
When my Dad kept bees they hated the dyes in man-made blue clothing. So we avoided that.

I had a wasp sting me through a blue cycling top the other summer. It decided to hang around and sting me about a bit rather than just bounce off as usual.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
When my Dad kept bees they hated the dyes in man-made blue clothing. So we avoided that.

I had a wasp sting me through a blue cycling top the other summer. It decided to hang around and sting me about a bit rather than just bounce off as usual.
Was it at the end of summer? They're grumpy bastards at the end of summer.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Apparently the drones are no longer of any use come the end of summer so they stop being able to eat (their mouths heal over or some such?) so they just starve to death and it makes them cranky. You know how the best thing for a bad mood is to share it around...

I probably read it on the internet, so it may not be true. I tend to be a lot more wary of them come September though.

Top Bottom