Cycle show NEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

huwsparky

Über Member
Never been before and was wondering if anyone had and their experiences?

Thinking of going as I'm looking for a Rose next and they are exhibiting.

Lots of freebies/discounts and the likes available?

Cheers

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've been and it's a good show with all the new bikes on display, however it seemed to be mainly aimed at showing the trade what was coming up and there wasn't much you could actually buy there. (This is from a couple of years ago - it may have changed since).

Brandane

Legendary Member
I went to the Scottish cycle show at the Glasgow SECC a few years ago and it was a total waste of time and money (the bit that really peed me off was that they were charging £1 to park - BICYCLES! - at a bike show; WTF? when the usual policy at the SECC is free cycle parking). A visit to Dales cycle shop afterwards was more interesting, and free. No idea if the Scottish show has improved three years down the line; they won't be getting my hard earned cash again to find out!

vickster

Legendary Member
Excel and NEC similar. Good to see things that's aren't available like rose and canyon

Minimal freebies unless you like energy gels xx(

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Im hoping to go up on the sunday - if my house is finished and we've moved in :smile:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I've been and it's a good show with all the new bikes on display, however it seemed to be mainly aimed at showing the trade what was coming up and there wasn't much you could actually buy there. (This is from a couple of years ago - it may have changed since).
This is pretty much what we found last year. Being used to motorbike and dive shows the lack of mainstream stuff for sale was a surprise. There was a hall full of smaller traders who were selling their stuff but it had a very 'Also available on Kickstarter' feel to it. We enjoyed looking at the shiny and talking to people but we're not going back this year, maybe once every three or four.

You could book in to ride top of the range bikes (so if you get in early you might be able to give a Rose a try if it's on the list) but there was quite a list of 'must do this' to follow and it was pre-book. Don't know if they will have that this year. There was a chance to try out other stuff on a smaller circuit and all you had to do there was wear one of their loan helmets from the pile. I was tempted because I wanted to try an Electra Cruiser thing, but for what we were doing 'you have to put on a communal helmet' grated with me too much so I didn't bother.

robgul

Legendary Member
Save your admission money/train fare/petrol - both Excel and NEC are pretty poor in my view* ... lots of bling exotica, electric bikes and poseurs (and the coffee and food prices are beyond belief!)
* and I get freebie ticket if I want it, but don't bother ..
Rob

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Don't, strange to relate, expect too many bikes.

Most of the mainstream bike makers do not exhibit.

About the only one I can recall last year which had a full range on show was Cube.

The Rose stand was tiny, about three or four bikes and pile of catalogues.

As @w00hoo_kent says, lots of small stands showing components, and not much available to buy on the day.

These shows are industry related

I went to one many years ago with a recumbent section and tryout area, but most are more about what they want you to buy rather than what you want to buy

Paul.G.

Just a bloke on a bike!
I went last year and really enjoyed it. The bmx stunt show was fantastic as was the sandy bit by the virtual pub! I've got tickets for this year too :becool:
I enjoyed the BMX too which is surprising as not something I'm normally into, missed the beach by the pub though :sad:

Top Bottom