Cycle Speedway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucksmith

Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I've read a few articles about Cycle Speedway and they've piqued my interest. However, my local club had a website which was updated regularly from 1999 to 2014 :-/

The British Cycling website didn't lead to too much of interest.

Could this perhaps be because it's off season?

**EDIT**
I found a local-ish club and emailed them for details, but it'd still be good to hear from anyone who's any knowledge/interest in this.

Noru

I started Cycle Speedway very recently, only 2 weekends ago. It's good fun & they've been very welcoming.

http://3318news.co.uk has lots of news and a directory of clubs.

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

I started Cycle Speedway very recently, only 2 weekends ago. It's good fun & they've been very welcoming.

http://3318news.co.uk has lots of news and a directory of clubs.

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I just found that website after searching round a little more.

How do you find the riding? I don't really understand how anyone can go round a corner with one leg in the air and pedal at the same time! What sort of cycling have you done in the past? Which club have you started with?

I'm not sure I'd be up for competing (I'm not much of a one for corners!) but I think I'll go and poke my nose in at one of the local clubs.

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.

screenman

Legendary Member
You tube cycle speedway. If you were over in Hull I would suggest you talk to Barry at Kingston Cycles he has been involved with the sport since 1981 and is one of life's nice guys.

oldroadman

Veteran
Apologies if this is in the wrong area, but I couldn't find a more suitable place.

I've read a few articles about Cycle Speedway and they've piqued my interest. However, my local club had a website which was updated regularly from 1999 to 2014 :-/

The British Cycling website didn't lead to too much of interest.

Could this perhaps be because it's off season?

**EDIT**
I found a local-ish club and emailed them for details, but it'd still be good to hear from anyone who's any knowledge/interest in this.
If you are anywhere nearby, Astley and Tyldesley CSC might be a good bet. www.astleycyclespeedway.org.uk

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I had a go at speedway and it is a cracking sport but can be a bit brutal on the old limbs if it goes wrong ! The atmosphere is great and the teams both home and away seem to get on well with each other. I gave up mainly due to time commitments with family and work. I rode for Astley & Tyldesley

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
An old mate of mine used to do it all the time. He's still in the sport but I've lost contact. Stu Johnson is a bit of a legend in the Manchester area fr speedway (and cross). Great fella.

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

Thanks, guys!

It seems there's at least 3 clubs in the area, which is good.

I was initially just trying to find out about the sport as a spectator, but I think I might give it a go. I doubt I'll actually want to compete because I'm just not very competitive in general. That and I'm not exactly one for speed. Or falling off.

Anyway, if the weather's alright this weekend I might pop along :-)

Noru

Hi!

Thanks for the link. I just found that website after searching round a little more.

How do you find the riding? I don't really understand how anyone can go round a corner with one leg in the air and pedal at the same time! What sort of cycling have you done in the past? Which club have you started with?

I'm not sure I'd be up for competing (I'm not much of a one for corners!) but I think I'll go and poke my nose in at one of the local clubs.

Hope you don't mind me asking so many questions.

The riding is good, short & fast which it was I was looking for as most of my riding is commuting 6 miles a day and occasional rides of 30-40 miles at my own pace when I find a free weekend. So it's something different for me.

As I say extremely early days for me having just started from scratch, someone with experience would be best to explain.

Bury CSC ( http://www.burycyclespeedway.com ) have been very welcoming despite my lack of fitness & being a complete beginner at 28 years old having never seen Cycle Speedway apart from internet research until I turned up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

I'm not much of a one for speed, I'm more interested in distance, really. And I;ve only just started riding regularly.

I heard about cycle Speedway online and thought it sounded worth checking out as a spectator. I've spoken to John at Bury and I might pop along to the training session on Saturday to have and maybe even give it a go. Maybe I'l see you there?

I'll see your 28 and raise you 4! ;-)

Last edited:

Noru

I'm not much of a one for speed, I'm more interested in distance, really. And I;ve only just started riding regularly.

I heard about cycle Speedway online and thought it sounded worth checking out as a spectator. I've spoken to John at Bury and I might pop along to the training session on Saturday to have and maybe even give it a go. Maybe I'l see you there?

I'll see your 28 and raise you 4! ;-)

I'll be there on tomorrow & Sunday. Haha I'm not one for speed either yet, mainly at the back of the field. The speeds not that fast but cadence is quite high due to the gearing.

Saturday is busier and more of a junior & inexperienced rider session and Sunday is a senior & younger development rider session. I'm told some of the senior riders are taking some time off as the seasons just finished, but still had about 8 people both Sunday's I've been so far. Both sessions are great for borrowing a bike & having a go.

I'm currently going to both just to get more time on the track while i learn the basics. I think I'll start only going on Sunday's soon and keep my Saturdays for longer road rides. Only been 3 times so far, two Sundays & one Saturday.

OP
OP
lucksmith

lucksmith

I'll be there on tomorrow & Sunday. Haha I'm not one for speed either yet, mainly at the back of the field. The speeds not that fast but cadence is quite high due to the gearing.

Saturday is busier and more of a junior & inexperienced rider session and Sunday is a senior & younger development rider session. I'm told some of the senior riders are taking some time off as the seasons just finished, but still had about 8 people both Sunday's I've been so far. Both sessions are great for borrowing a bike & having a go.

I'm currently going to both just to get more time on the track while i learn the basics. I think I'll start only going on Sunday's soon and keep my Saturdays for longer road rides. Only been 3 times so far, two Sundays & one Saturday.

Well, aside from the fact I've woken up FAR too early, the weather doesn't look so bad outside, so there's a good chance I'll be along later. I've scrawled directions down on a scrap of paper, so I may well get lost, but if not I'll see you there!

I'm certainly not a junior but I am definitely inexperienced! I've had to scrat about the house trying to find anything suitably long-sleeved/long-legged as I usually just ride in knackered old t-shorts/cut-offs.

Luckily I only work part time so if I do become a regular I plan to be doing my long rides on Thursdays with Friday to recover :-)

Top Bottom