Cycle touring friendly campsites on the Suffolk and Norfolk coast

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Roller

I decided to live on the wild side( a bit) and go somewhere I have never been before. I randomly chose a railway station in Suffolk, a place called Stowmarket and bought a one way ticket for next week on Virgin trains from East Yorkshire. It only cost £23. I'm taking my folding 27 speed Dahon and a tent. I get dumped off at the station just after 13:00 and will aim to pedal along the coast, about 30 miles away back to East Yorkshire. I'ver got 5 days. If I get stuck I've got my OAP bus pass for travel after 09:30

That's the extent of my planning.

I know there is a good beach side campsite at Cleethorpes for a fiver a night for cyclists but don't know what's between there and Lowestoft.

Any ideas guys??

In North Norfolk, Stiffkey has the best campsite at High Sands Creek.
I did camp wild at Covehithe, 8 miles S of Lowestoft but that was several years ago.

F70100

Who, me ?
It's also a naturist site. Just thought you should be made aware before pitching up! :eek: Clothing optional, but possibly frowned upon.

I stayed there in mid June and it was exactly as described - clothing optional. I would say about 2/3rds of the campers wore clothes all the time. There was a good mix of guests too, some singles, couples, and families with kids and the ratio was pretty consistent across all groups. No frowning was observed !

From a cycle campers point of view it was a good site to be at (whether you want to be dressed or not) because the facilities were what I needed - free hot showers, a campers kitchen with fridge and freezer space and kettle, and somewhere to charge gadgets.

Sounds like a great trip you're planning - do let us know where you ended up staying

Koga

Approximately 15 miles north of Great Yarmouth, both near the beach:

http://www.walnutfarmwaxham.co.uk/default.asp
Tel: 01692 598217
Walnut Farm
Waxham
Norfolk
NR12 0EG

http://waxhamsandsholidaypark.com/
01692 598325
Waxham Sands Holiday Park,
Warren Farm
Horsey
Nr. Great Yarmouth
Norfolk
NR29 4EJ

They are very close to each other so you can check which one you may prefer.

The beach is very nice and personally I would find this much better than staying somewhere in or nearer to Great Yarmouth.

Bodhbh

Guru
Deepdale camping at Burnham Deepdale on the North Nofolk coast is in a really nice spot. 2-3 pubs for food in walking distance, the coast is a short walk. Amazing cafe next to the campsite for brekkie. There's a bunkhouse there too if the weather is s***e. They don't look very 'cycle touring friendly' from the website (minimum 2 persons per pitch in high season) but they've squeezed me in a couple of times without any issue.

That coast road can get a bit busy at weekends, but not quite enough that it's put me off riding it.

OP
OP
Low Roller

Low Roller

Sorry guys, I feel that I let you all down. It turned out to be a two day trip of about 90 miles followed by a train journey home. I had wanted to go to France as usual for two or three weeks but the wife said she wasn't feeling too good and asked if I would stay in the country.

First day I got to Gisleham for £5 night on Neville's farm. Great guy, keen on cycling, just inland from Kessingland. I had a massive sheltered paddock to myself. Caravans and motorhomes were on separate plot. Free hot showers etc, cheap food pub nearby across his fields. Second night night got to Poplar Farm near Waxham, a truly dippy hippy campsite but only £4.50. Very friendly and warm atmosphere ( get provisions before you get there or pedal 5 miles away north to Sea Palling). The site next door , Wraxham Sands, is ONLY £18 per night if you want something more sophisticated.

I had a huge problem with my Dahon. It was nearly new only about 20 miles on the clock. I was overconfident and didn't fit it with either of my two well worn Brookes saddles. Big mistake. After about 20 miles each day it felt as if I was developing a new cleft in my buttocks. The remaining miles each day only served to reinforce the depth of the seam.

When I got to Cromer I had a choice of progressing to the outer edges of the galaxy, devoid of bicycle friendly public transport, or jumping on a train to Norwich , thenceforth to Skegness or home to East Yorkshire for the same price. I decided to do a bunk and go home ( For family reasons this was an extremely wise choice as I will explain later.) Don't expect Cromer Tourist information office or Cromer library to be of any assistance to cycle tourists whatsoever. I daren't print anything else.

Just a quick note on train travel. I have done this extensively in France but not in England. Three things: take a pound coin so you can borrow a luggage trolley and secondly, note that the cycle /guards van storage is in carriage 1 immediately behind the driver on Virgin trains. Thirdly, don't be an idiot and take a folding bike in one bag and your touring luggage in another bag - do what everyone else does - just turn up with the touring bike with luggage on and busk it.

I arrived home. As a family we will never be so lucky again. My wife had a major heart attack that night and I was there to help save her. She is doing fine.

F70100

Who, me ?
I don't feel let down. I am relieved that you were able to be there to support your wife and I hope she's on the road to recovery.

Best Wishes to you both.

Top Bottom