Cycling around Titchfield Haven

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kelvin_C-J

I apologise for this post if it is not your thing, but rather than a 'tale' as such, I was hoping to post some pictures and information from my earlier cycle around Titchfield Haven (a nature reserve).

The day started off quite nicely - clear skies and a relatively warm temperature for this time of year:
DSCF0297.JPG

On the cycle down, I passed a frequently quiet road (Out of curiosity, how does the road surface compare to your experiences?):
DSCF0298.JPG

Approaching the Haven, some spectacular views are to be had:
DSCF0306.JPG

This picture was taken overlooking the Solent - the Isle Of Wight on the left (any of you who may have participated in the Wiggle Isle Of Wight series should know it well!) and a common sight on the southern coast (for people near the Solent anyway) are all the marine activities.

Overlooking the Haven / car park / Calshot (The tower is Calshot Power Station):
DSCF0308.JPG

The Haven Visitor Centre (White building on the left), and harbour area:
DSCF0305.JPG

The Haven is a 'National Nature Reserve' and when I was there earlier today there was actually a tour group (seemed like wildlife enthusiasts) moving around the area. The Haven is frequented by Ducks, Geese and Swans to name a few animal types, also by Sea gulls but they are not a 'must visit' attraction.

Speaking of Geese - looking about 45 degrees to the left presents this view:
DSCF0304.JPG

However, the official 'visitor viewing area' presents a rather different view:
DSCF0301.JPG

The Haven is, perhaps unfortunately, also a car park / and harbour/marina, whichever you prefer (boat storage area), as well as beach access point - so needless to say it is normally always a busy place. I have also seen a fair few other cyclists pass along the road, so they must enjoy the view too! I know I greatly appreciate it.

After staying in the area for around 20 minutes, I decided to head back home, passing through the nice village of Stubbington on my return:
DSCF0309.JPG

Norm

There is a big part of my upbringing in that view, TJ, so thanks for the tale and great images.

Just a little thing, though, more a thing-ette really, that is Fawley power station Calshot spit, sheds and the CG tower is in front / to the left of it.

OP
OP
Kelvin_C-J

Kelvin_C-J

Just a little thing, though, more a thing-ette really, that is Fawley power station Calshot spit, sheds and the CG tower is in front / to the left of it.

I sincerely apologise for this. I should of course, in the recess of my mind - know this and have included it!. I am sorry for causing you an annoyance. However I think it reflects how (unfortunately) things seem to be progressing (with most of society in this way) favouring convenience (smartphones) rather than effort (mobile+gps device+map+laptop as separate devices), evidenced by my 'effortless' merging of Fawley into Calshot just to save me some time and ultimately confuse the end reader.

Sorry!

If you carry on further the road along the front becomes a nice route into Titchfield, and onwards...

Or you can cut along the coast at Bromwich Farm on NCN 2

however I am afraid that I cannot forgive you for posting this!

I am in a bleak, wet, windy farmhouse near Keswick.. About to go out onto wet, windy and cloudy hills

And you have the cheek to show me that the weather at home is excellent?

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Random trivia... My grandparents used to live in the Haven before it was turned into a visitors centre in "I think" late 80s / early 90s. It was a 9 bedroom house and I used to get lost in it!

Used to spend many a weekend there playing on the beach directly outside the entrance!

Strange to see pics of it on a national forum lol...I still live fairly local in Fareham and we often go for walks around Hill Head.

Top Bottom