Cycling books: recommendation and avoid - Racing only

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Am I the only person who didn't find "French Revolutions" all that funny?
(Apart from the section where he tries to pee while riding his bike, and discovers that it is quite difficult if you can't ride no-handed...)
No it's not you. Not only did I not find him funny but I ended up intensely disliking him. I would never read anything by him again.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
No it's not you. Not only did I not find him funny but I ended up intensely disliking him. I would never read anything by him again.
It wasn't exactly a rib-tickler but I picked up a charity book bargain by him based on the premise of him visiting all the Monopoly streets in London.
Utter crap, up until I gave up on it - it's possible the latter two thirds were hilarious!

U

User169

Nearly finished “Cycle of Lies – The Fall of Lance Armstrong” by Juliet Macur which I picked up in the airport yesterday. It’s a snappy read and a decent enough overview of LT’s rise and fall. She had a hard time from LT, being one of the few US journos to raise questions about him before Tygart got going, and clearly relishes sticking the boot in!

Probably not a great deal which will be news for the aficionado – the fact that she feels the need to define peloton and domestique gives you an idea that it’s aimed at a general audience. On the other hand, she does seem to have found some new sources, JT Neal, an early mentor of Armstrong in Austin and John Hendershot, one of his soigneurs, and her skewering of Linda Armstrong’s fable of bringing up LT on her own is good.

One thing I didn’t really like was that she falls into the trap of giving the impression that everyone was at it. Not sure if that was what she really intended, but I think that’s the way it would come over to the less well-informed reader.

RedRider

Pulling through
Just bought WiIlliam Fotheringham's book on Coppi and Tim Moore's 'French Revolutions'. Coppi will probably be kept for my hols so I'll report back then.
I read the first 100 pages yesterday, an extended moan about French press officers and pizzerias, but I'm finding it diverting. Don't actively dislike the bloke yet.

Buddfox

Veteran
I'm going to get Michael Barry's book Shadow on the Roads, as it had decent reviews. Let's see - concerned it might be more of the same regarding doping etc.

U

User169

Just read Emma O'Reilly's book. The first third on her time at Postal is great. Really gives a good feel of what it's like to be working for a pro-team. In the second third, she really sticks the boot onto Walsh - she feels he shafted her over LA Confidential - she was the only named source in the book, but she says this was never made clear and she only realized on publication.

The final third is reconciliation with Lance and how it's all terribly unfair that he's been singled out by USADA for harsher punishment than all the rest. It's like she has a case of Stockholm syndrome.

Finally finished the Yates book. I enjoyed it, it gave a good insight into pro racing of his era and of his time as a ds. Very amusing in places with some excellent anecdotes often told through the eyes of someone else in a bit of a 'mates down the pub' apocryphal way but I like that style, others may not.

As for Yates, I ended up liking him and feeling some sympathy for his situation because of the his heart on sleeve, all or nothing nature. It's hard not to believe, given his cycling links, that he knew nothing of doping or that he didn't partake himself. He himself defends those who did, saying they did what was necessary. He sees no difference in what Armstrong did to what others did and believes he should be given the 7 tours back. At the least he's an apologist and perhaps more. There's also a telling chapter in the book that his wife wrote. One sentence was left hanging when she talks about divorce, saying it was good for both of them and that she no longer flinched when Sean moved suddenly. That sentence is not elaborated on.

I'd recommend it to anyone to read..

just jim

I thought the argument in the pizza restaurant was funny. Also the advice before he set off: "You probably won't die."
"Spanish Steps" is also a good read.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've just finished Nicole Cooke's "The Breakaway". It's an incredible book.

I read quite a lot of sports autobiogs (rugby, cricket, cycling). Most of them are instantly forgettable, consisting of an interminable ghost-written list of matches or races leavened with the occasional risque anecdote, giving no insight into the individual or the sport. This one isn't.

There's a strong narrative, some excellent insights into racing tactics, along with the main theme of the general incompetence, sexism and waste of lottery money in British Cycling. It's a stunning read, even if you don't follow women's racing, or cycle racing at all.

It's up there with Graeme Obree's book, which is quite something.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I'm halfway through Christophe Bassons book and to be honest, however much you may admire his stance, it is getting repetitively tiresome. How many different ways can you say, the peloton hated me, I was clean, the others weren't, ad nauseam.

I'm halfway through Christophe Bassons book and to be honest, however much you may admire his stance, it is getting repetitively tiresome. How many different ways can you say, the peloton hated me, I was clean, the others weren't, ad nauseam.

A lot more important a message than "I never tested positive"...

Top Bottom