Cycling Photo Challenge - Entries and Chat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Listen guys, this thread's sole purpose is for photographs. A few days left for the challenge and it aint over till it's dover.
Any snapper can enter, so get on with it.

Kies

This whole thread doesn't work .... Reason .... To much mastication and not enough photography!!!!!!
Take picture - upload - keep quite.
Only the last winner says which photo won and so it goes on

..... Time to STOP masticating :ohmy:oo err

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Took a few pics in Nottingham this afternoon. I'll spare you the obvious ones of Brian Clough, and Robin Hood (had to take one of him before all the outlaws from Kent turn up to take him back to his rightful home though). These two characters seemed very interested in my computer.
Img0044.JPG

This is one of the iconic meeting points in Nottingham - "Meet you at the right lion" (would have preferred the left lion, which was in sunlight, but there were some people waiting there already).
Img0047.JPG

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I took a couple of photos today - but I need to go and get bread for tomorrow's lunches - but I will try to do it tomorrow.

And I LIKE the chatter .... :whistle:

RWright

Guru
I went out riding late this afternoon and decided to ride to the town that I was born and spent much of my early life growing up in. It also has the closest statue to me (that I could think of). 16 miles or so of
pedaling into 10 mph wind :sad: and I was there.
IMG_20130313_190940-Copy_zps97b5ca83.jpg

IMG_20130313_190335_zpsac7cad52.jpg

I think the rules are to have your bike in the picture but when I got there I knew it was going to be a bit difficult to get a prize winning shot. In addition to only owning a cell phone camera and considering a picture a success for me if one of my fingers in not in the shot, the court house was undergoing renovation. The Courthouse is sort of a landmark for this part of my state, it has been around a long time (for my part of the world).
I did get the obligatory bike shot.

IMG_20130313_190611_zps7a89e5bf.jpg

I told the construction guy you see there that I was just getting some pictures of the courthouse because I wanted some shots of the copper roof before it ages and turns green or whatever copper roofs do these days. He said "hop in the cherry picker, we will get you any kind of picture you like". I was a little tired from fighting the wind and hills getting there so I just said "no thanks but I appreciate the offer". I did feel some sort of small jolt of electricity go thru my head and I felt a little confused for just a second. It was later on the ride back home that my mind exploded with the thought: I could have got a picture of my bike on top of the Chatham County Courthouse! That would have been a photo for the ages. I could have told everyone, hey, have you ever seen the photo of my bike on top of the Chatham County Courthouse? It would have been EPIC! I have still not ruled out going back with food, beer, and bribe money to try and get that offer again. :smile:

The statue is a CSA soldier, most all of them face north, as does this one.
IMG_20130313_190433_zpsffc81d85.jpg

The Chatham County Courthouse was built in 1881. I know, a young whippersnapper when compared to some of the buildings you have over there but it has been around a while for over here. It was originally designed to have the clock you see but the town never could seem to find the funds for them. This short article from local news tells about the man who donated the money for them and from what I have heard, enough money to maintain them to WELL into the future. I hope the local politicians are somehow kept in check as to how that money is used. I think it was a very kind gesture by this man and I was glad he got to see it before he died.

The town it is in, Pittsboro, was established in 1771 and is named after William Pitt the Younger. In 2010 the courthouse was undergoing a half million dollar outside renovation and someone working on the construction was using a torch and caught it on fire and basically destroyed the second floor and clock tower. Fortunately it was covered by insurance.

This is a well shot three minute video of the fire. I never realized how much that landmark meant to not only people from all over this immediate area but people from all parts of the state. I think that has a lot to do with the fact that the courthouse is built in the middle of a roundabout at the intersection of what was for years two major roads that go across the state.They interrupted programming and ran special reports on the news in several regions of the state while it was happening. News helicopters from all over the state were flying over. The video shows a little more of the town and what it looks like. I didn't include more shots because of road construction in town and the construction on the courthouse, it looks like a war zone down there right now. BTW, it was supposed to be finished by the Fall of 2012. And yes there is a new courthouse about a block south of the old one. They will still use the old one for some things but I forget what.

Sorry for getting carried away again. One of these days I will get a real DSLR camera and let it do my talking :whistle:.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
OK some of my "statues" on one of my routes to work...

I like going through these pencils - they seem to be angled so that the morning and evening sun shines nicely on them - I've taken more than one photograph of them in the past.

Well - I thought I had better include a fish (the one that gets mentioned on either page one or two of this thread). He is called "Fish on it's nose" by Doug Cocker, commissioned by Sustrans.

Years ago the road ran through the spot where the statue stood. I can't quite remember where the statue was or if the road went either side. Then about 15 years ago (guess), they removed the road and made the traffic go around the exterior of the square. It is now a pleasant place to be in and well used by pedestrians and cyclists.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Blimey, I was spoilt for choice. Loads of good ones and nice tales to go along with them too.
Honourable mentions to Delftse Post for his piccie with his son but the winner is...

@RWright for the Chatham Courthouse. for a number of reasons. Lovely lighting, interesting story and my best friend from school lives just down the road!
Over to you Wrighty:thumbsup:

RWright

Guru
Blimey, I was spoilt for choice. Loads of good ones and nice tales to go along with them too.
Honourable mentions to Delftse Post for his piccie with his son but the winner is...

@RWright for the Chatham Courthouse. for a number of reasons. Lovely lighting, interesting story and my best friend from school lives just down the road!
Over to you Wrighty:thumbsup:

Thank you for the very generous win. There are a lot very nice pictures. I just noticed I won when you told me. Thanks.

I love looking at pictures from the UK. I need to think a few minutes about what I would like to see and that most may have access to. I was not expecting to win. You all share so many great photos that I just wanted to give you a few from over here.

Top Bottom