1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cycling/Tennis Elbow

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Training' started by LarryDuff, 20 Feb 2012.

1. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Senior Member

I have developed what are very like the symptoms of tennis elbow in my left arm and while, yes I do play quite a bit of tennis, I am right handed so I don't think that is causing it.

The only thing that I can think I have have been doing different in the last month is doing 15 - 20 miles on my bike at the weekends.

Has anyone ever heard of this type of complaint being got from cycling?

2. T.M.H.N.E.T

T.M.H.N.E.T Needs to be in Majorca

Bike fit? Could have too much weight through the joint / locked out joint

Position of brake hoods can twist the joint too.

3. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Senior Member

To be honest I havnt used the left brake a lot so I don't think its that. Might try to shift my position next time out.

4. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I have a suspicion that my similar problem (left elbow also) might be related to, or made worse by - I am not sure it is the cause - the vibration caused by cycling on rough road surfaces.

5. T.M.H.N.E.T

6. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Senior Member

Interesting article. Could well be a lot of truth in it. Some of the roads round here are in shocking condition, very bumpy!

7. T.M.H.N.E.T

Antrim Coast,I needn't say more

8. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

9. vickster

vickster Veteran

I had the exact same thing - left elbow (right handed), no tennis...4 months of pain, physio, rest, steroid jab 5 weeks ago...touch wood seems good. Caused I think by riding a too big bike last summer

10. Klaus

Klaus Well-Known Member

I had tennis elbow in the left arm about 15 years ago, didn't do any exercise at the time but I am quite skinny round the arms, all I can remember was knocking the elbow on a doorframe a while before the problem started. Was treated with antibiotics and ibuprofen and it healed up very quickly. Lucky I had changed to a car with automatic transmission .... I wonder where the term "tennis elbow" comes from? My elbow at the time was the size of a tennis ball due to the liquid accumulating round the joint.

11. Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

12. Tomba

Tomba Well-Known Member

13. LarryDuff

LarryDuff Senior Member

Went out yesterday and did a 20 miler. No pain in the elbow today:smile:

Tried not to ride with straight arms and roads weren't bumpy!