Cycling to school..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I put this picture up on Instagram and my son commented, made me sad and a bit angry that he's riding half a mile on residential back roads and these blasted school run drivers are so impatient and careless. I've seen them pushing their way through into oncoming traffic and tailgating children on bikes. My older son fell off on the ice yesterday and was lucky it was before the main rush or some hasty madam would probably have squashed him getting her kids to school in warmth and comfort.

Why are her children less valuable than mine because of their healthy mode of transport?

Screenshot_2016-01-15-08-49-08.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I sympathise. BTW, one problem with that image is that the cyclist is riding on the edge marking (so probably in the gutter of a back road), contrary to Bikeability/Cyclecraft/NCS/HC/...

So, the 1.5m car should have its NON-driver-side wheels on the white lane line if it gives a cyclist in the recommended road position the minimum room.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Yes, my son has done Bikeability and knows about primary & secondary. He takes primary most of the time, thankfully - yet these Mamas still push on past wherever possible. The extra 3-4mph is so vital. I think I will put this post up on a local facebook page and see what happens. Some of the Mums simply won't realise that the roads are icy and slippery and more hazardous for the schoolchildren.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Remembering cycling as a kid, probably in the gutter to be fair, I remember regularly being squeezed - eg trying to pull out for parked cars, and or nearly squashed into kerb by a truck to the extent I had to jump off. Basically kids on bikes are simply not regarded as people or traffic, but as you'd regard maybe a pigeon on the road - even more so than adults on bikes. In a way this isn't hatred of cyclists but simply not registering a cyclist as a thing or person at all.

I entirely agree with you.
My children used to walk to School while the neighbours drive. Drivers in a hurry was a problem even for walking.
May I suggest the following.
Please do not say it is mum, your point will be lost in the debate on being sexist etc.
Talk or write to school head and write to school governors. They will have to address this as a general principal on health and safety of children.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Thank you. I have edited it to remove gender-specific observations. Sending details into the schools is a great idea. The only comments thus far in local FB pages are supportive and there are lots of "likes". Just waiting for someone to complain about the swarms of children on bikes getting "in their way".... :boxing:

I used to be a chair of governors.
I know that if I were to get a letter from parents regarding this subject, I will have to act on it.
In your letter to governors, you need to mention that this issue relates to children safety, promoting healthy behaviour, protecting environment etc.
Head will be expected to bring this to the attention of all parents and even local traffic police.
Go for it.

OP
OP
Arjimlad

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
The mobile-addicted power-crazed mamas desperate to get in front of the pesky kids are conveying their offspring to two primary schools, as well as the local Academy which my sons attend. I will write to all.

Top Bottom