Cycling - wearing a helmet is now a legal requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
which is the very point Adrian, RL (and the like) make pretty clearly on these very pages. Don't wear one for the wrong reasons. Unfortunately, from what I now understand, most of us do.

I've always been of the opinion that wearing a helmet is better than having no protection at all but by no means rely on my helmet for safety. Now I reckon the £4 I spent on new brake blocks was probably money better spent.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I've always been of the opinion that wearing a helmet is better than having no protection at all but by no means rely on my helmet for safety. Now I reckon the £4 I spent on new brake blocks was probably money better spent.
I reached the opinion that I would continue to wear one. Not because I truly believe it will save my life but because of a whole bunch of emotional and anecdotal evidence (I know, I know @User... if its anecdotal its not evidence...thing is, not all evidence is empirical) and a set of other reasons like, "It makes Mrs Jeez happy" and "I want to be in a good legal position if it all comes down one day" and lastly, I cant find any reliable evidence that it will harm me to wear one.

But don't expect it to help if you have a collision at 27mph

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
[QUOTE 2125021, member: 45"]No it's not. People often wrongly translate the impact speed at which helmets are tested, to the travelling speed immediately prior to a collision. "I was cycling along at around 18mph when..." very rarely means that your head will impact at 18mph. It may be lower, it may be higher, or there may be no head impact.[/quote]

Well after a couple thousand miles the brackets inside my helmet are coming away from their mounts, so I was pondering a replacement. I can see now I'd better go spent some time in the helmet debates thread to get genned up.

Davidc

Guru
Well after a couple thousand miles the brackets inside my helmet are coming away from their mounts, so I was pondering a replacement. I can see now I'd better go spent some time in the helmet debates thread to get genned up.

I had that on mine. I stuck it up with No More Nails and it's held together ever since.

The helmet debates forum is a scary place to go. Leave it until after Halloween!

Back to the OP - that's a dreadful judgement, and imo grossly unfair.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I reached the opinion that I would continue to wear one. Not because I truly believe it will save my life but because of a whole bunch of emotional and anecdotal evidence (I know, I know @User... if its anecdotal its not evidence...thing is, not all evidence is empirical) and a set of other reasons like, "It makes Mrs Jeez happy" and "I want to be in a good legal position if it all comes down one day" and lastly, I cant find any reliable evidence that it will harm me to wear one.

But don't expect it to help if you have a collision at 27mph

Similar reasons to why I wear a helmet currently.

I had that on mine. I stuck it up with No More Nails and it's held together ever since.

The helmet debates forum is a scary place to go. Leave it until after Halloween!

Back to the OP - that's a dreadful judgement, and imo grossly unfair.

This is using More Nails...

yhst-84490215588543_1981_899333.jpg

Reactions: 4F

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm afraid what everybody is mixing up is the difference between the action of the driver and its consequences. Leaving aside the matter of the helmet, (even that's a red herring in the story,) the driver cannot be found to have driven anything other than carelessly, and therefore even if the court had wanted to, it must consider the standard of driving, not what it led to. If there is no evidence that the driving was deliberately intended to cause the cyclist harm, then the evidence must be examined to consider reckless or careless driving. The standard of proof required to establish reckless driving is way above what has happened in this instance, and so the only legal option open is careless driving.

The range of punishments open to a court are limited, and no matter how much the populus of Cyclechat bay for blood, I'm afraid fines and penalty points are the only available sentences in this case.

Now, the driver has pleaded guilty, and been convicted, which is where civil action takes over. The cyclist will be able to make a substantial claim against the driver, which is likely to be contested only in the amount, not the purpose of that action. Any decent solicitor worth his or her salt will overcome the red herring of the helmet, because they know as well as we do that it's bollocks, and won't be taken into account in a civil claims case.

So, pitchforks back in the cupboards folks, this was a crap bit of reporting designed to get you all stirred up, and frothing at the mouth, and it seems to have worked. Subscription to the Daily Wail anybody?
Most excellent, couldn't have worded that better myself.

Just one teensy general observation - the helmet issue isn't such an automatic red herring. I'm not going to get embroiled in discussing this poor chaps particular case, but as a general point a cyclist with head injuries who was not wearing a helmet will quite often receive a reduced payment due to "contributory negligence". It's a load of balls of course, but it's pretty common.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Most excellent, couldn't have worded that better myself.

Just one teensy general observation - the helmet issue isn't such an automatic red herring. I'm not going to get embroiled in discussing this poor chaps particular case, but as a general point a cyclist with head injuries who was not wearing a helmet will quite often receive a reduced payment due to "contributory negligence". It's a load of balls of course, but it's pretty common.
I'm not sure about this. As far as I know the situation is as described by Paul Kitson
http://www.ctc.org.uk/DesktopDefault.aspx?TabID=5180

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
As dellzeqq points out above, that simply isn't the case. There is no general principle of contributory negligence through non-use of a helmet that has been established in E&W law.

I had understood that, although there's no established decided case/precedent, deductions for helmet related CN are sometimes conceded where cases are bieng settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom