Cycling with no lights.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Coming home tonight in the car, after visiting a friend, it's 10.15 p.m. When I come across three cyclists, in full racing kit with not a light between them on an unlit section of twisty road where not a month before there was a fatal accident!

What do these people think is protecting them? God? Allah? Buddha? Alan Titchmarsh?

I know how dangerous that little section is and stick to the speed limit (30 m.p.h), but the boy racers certainly don't. I slowed down, lowered the passenger window and told them what a bunch of fools they were, and got a mouthful of abuse for my trouble.

So I'm half expecting to hear on the local news that there's been an accident etc. etc.

Bunch of peanuts. There's certainly no call to be abusive to you for pointing out that they're invisible.

beancounter

Alternatively, said three "boy racers" are out for an evening ride, fully intending to get home before dark, but are seriously delayed by some sort of mechanical catastrophe or medical emergency or a load of punctures or whatever. Maybe they even got lost. As darkness falls they hurry to get home, knowing how vulnerable they are without lights.

If this was the case I don't think I would have been pleased to hear some motorist tell me what an idiot I am, and would certainly have responded with said abuse.

Just an alternative scenario, you understand.

bc

shooter560

beancounter said:
Alternatively, said three "boy racers" are out for an evening ride, fully intending to get home before dark, but are seriously delayed by some sort of mechanical catastrophe or medical emergency or a load of punctures or whatever. Maybe they even got lost. As darkness falls they hurry to get home, knowing how vulnerable they are without lights.

If this was the case I don't think I would have been pleased to hear some motorist tell me what an idiot I am, and would certainly have responded with said abuse.

Just an alternative scenario, you understand.

bc

And any cyclist worth their salt at this time of year is prepared for things, lighting up time is before 8pm, so being out over 2 hours later without any lighting means they did not have problems but were plain and simple stupid and asking to be hit.

I also am fed up with jerks who think as they are on a bike they are above the law, RLJ and no lights after a reasonable time means they are not willing to protect themselves and so I also give them no quarter.

I ride with lights on my racer when out for an evening training ride, even though I'm normally home by 7pm, I also DO NOT RLJ, cause thats the law, mind you saying all that I do try to set of speed cameras so maybe i'm not a goody two shoes all the time :biggrin:

newbiebiker

that's what carefree youngsters do...hopefully they'd come to learn their lessons w/o serious accidents. and it should be soon.

Top Bottom