Cycling Workouts: Discussion/Encouragement/Sharing/Banter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Its a recovery week for me which is a good thing because I got stuck in the office and didn't get home till after 8.30pm which probably would have been too late for a regular work out without upsetting the neighbours. Although after doing my regular recovery route I got back to a quiet popular walking/running/ cycle loop, so even though I was on the commuter with a laptop I allowed myself to drift up to 70% MHR for the mile lap expecting a pb, it actually got me a top 10, before going back to a recovery pace :laugh:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Those low cadence workouts reall took it out of me but they are supposed to be very effective. I was told to aim for 50RPM.

My target for these strength endurance workouts is 40-60 rpm. I’ve found they work for me.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
Back in the saddle with a short workout this morning. The world doesn't seem to be falling out of my bottom any longer, but my guts are still a bit gripey. I've felt weak as a kitten since coming back from Morocco.

This is one of Zwift's Baby on Board workouts, specifically devised for pregnant ladies to quite undemanding, which I think is just what I need while I'm rebuilding myself. I skipped through some of the warmup because seven minutes of Z1 is a bit much...

1713431609326.png

Legs

I did Zwift's Spring Training Series this time last year, which (a) was a nice way of getting back on top of things after an enforced lay-off with a cold, and (b) set me up well for some really good form through May and June. I found the workouts quite easy, which was just what I wanted.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...n-encouragement-sharing-banter.290553/page-27

I had a cold/gastric episode a few weeks ago, shortly after coming back from two weeks' holiday, which has seen my training load and form plummet. So I tried the first of the 2024 Spring Training workouts yesterday afternoon. It may be because I'd been for a jog on Saturday afternoon, but I really struggled even with a 48min/49CTL workout that barely touched Z4! The other workouts look quite a bit more daunting...

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/spring-training-2024

Last edited:
OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
I did Zwift's Spring Training Series this time last year, which (a) was a nice way of getting back on top of things after an enforced lay-off with a cold, and (b) set me up well for some really good form through May and June. I found the workouts quite easy, which was just what I wanted.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/c...n-encouragement-sharing-banter.290553/page-27

I had a cold/gastric episode a few weeks ago, shortly after coming back from two weeks' holiday, which has seen my training load and form plummet. So I tried the first of the 2024 Spring Training workouts yesterday afternoon. It may be because I'd been for a jog on Saturday afternoon, but I really struggled even with a 48min/49CTL workout that barely touched Z4! The other workouts look quite a bit more daunting...

https://whatsonzwift.com/workouts/spring-training-2024

Have you lowered your FTP on Zwift - cos you probably need to after your enforced layoff.

Legs

That’s a good thought; it’s still up at 315W. I don’t really have any inclination to do a ramp test because of (a) pain and (b) fear that it’ll come out with a really low number, but perhaps I should bring it down to 305 while I’m building back up.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
That’s a good thought; it’s still up at 315W. I don’t really have any inclination to do a ramp test because of (a) pain and (b) fear that it’ll come out with a really low number, but perhaps I should bring it down to 305 while I’m building back up.

Personally I'd be inclined to knock it down further (say 295W) and then do a Ramp Test in a couple of weeks when you're crushing the workouts. Get on a positive wave :okay:

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Well, in the last week or so I have knocked out my best ever powers for 30-59 seconds and 3 year bests for 1:02 - 2:15 hours so I'm content that my training is working well this year. The race I did on Sunday had a 2 hr NP of 272W which isn't far from my FTP and the hardest ride I've had in a long time.

Roy has asked me to back it off this week and to take it steady on my wee's holiday in Tenerife (easier said than done) so I am fit and ready for a block of really hard training before my Target events in June. I'll report back in a couple of weeks once my "hard" training efforts appear for me on Training Peaks.

Last week was a recovery week for me and I just commuted so tonight was my first indoor workout for a few weeks, “Fiftymile” a 8x 5/4.75 SS (94.5%) workout. After my HRM appearing to work flawlessly during the weekend TT it was reading well low tonight! I think I need to wipe it down and tighten it again, either that buy a new strap. Every time though I think about replacing it though it behaves flawlessly for a bit.

The training seems to be going well judging by last night's club TT:
1714153869646.png

There's a nice 7%'r in there:
1714153099106.png

Which helped me get 2nd place from a small field.

Back to todays workout, I was WfH, so rather than doing the endurance ride on my commute I did it at lunchtime. Down the shared footway to Yaxley (to let me stay in Z1); down the exposed Holme Road (thankfully it was pretty still today); out west to the old A1 and south to the first Sawtry roundabout (to give me enough time to finish before the London Road shared footway); back up the old A1 to the Stilton OB; a slight transgression over the new A1(M) Stilton roundabout; and mostly back up the shared footway to home to stay in Z1 (however when it ended on my side of the road rather than waiting to cross to the other side I made the short dash to home, hopefully without going out of zone to much).

GC thinks I was about 75% compliant.

Attachments

• 1714152964938.png
    1714152964938.png
    280 KB · Views: 0

Legs

I split the difference and set my FTP at 300W. The workouts are tough but manageable - I’ve done one every other day. I supplemented this afternoon’s ride with a short pacer ride and my trusty favourite 5x sprints-on-the-minute, in which I reached a season’s best 1137W.
645853B6-3115-4C9C-B5E8-DF37B2288238.jpeg

36C5066E-C981-497E-A636-3B3681410D59.jpeg

50140C76-E958-412C-B0BC-F235C1BAE0E6.jpeg

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Hills seem to be harder for me and im rolling better on the flat for a similar overall average speed, i have been doing weight sessions on the multi gym 4 times a week and i can see im carrying more upper body muscle and im guessing a bit on the legs but thats harder to tell.its nice not to be stick thin on the arms as i have a manual job but makes cycling harder work .

Top Bottom