Cyclist down - A82 Fort William

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flyingfifi

Über Member
Its near at the esso petrol station again its a bad road

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It is my local dual carriageway. I wouldn't dream of cycling on it unless I had too (north of Tarbet where the cycle path stops I mean).

I have been told that statistically it isn't too bad, blah blah blah, but having lived next to it and travelled up and down it all my life, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even at somewhere quiet.
It wouldn't be so bad, but there is that stretch alongside Loch Lomond that is so narrow it is downright treacherous.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the main route for cycle tourers, which just makes me cringe at the thought.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Its near at the esso petrol station again its a bad road

It's further north than that, it's near the BP station oposite the distillery.

For those who don't know the area, it's a single carriageway with a 30mph speed limit.
It's not a 'bad road', it's busy but is straight (at that point) with good visiblity and sight lines.

GC

iandg

Legendary Member
It is my local dual carriageway. I wouldn't dream of cycling on it unless I had too (north of Tarbet where the cycle path stops I mean).

I have been told that statistically it isn't too bad, blah blah blah, but having lived next to it and travelled up and down it all my life, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole, even at somewhere quiet.
It wouldn't be so bad, but there is that stretch alongside Loch Lomond that is so narrow it is downright treacherous.

Unfortunately, it appears to be the main route for cycle tourers, which just makes me cringe at the thought.
:sad: I couldn't hit the like button

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
No its in fort William i know the area i worked in mallaig on the boats

You could well be right that it's near the Esso station as there's now a picture added to the BBC report which shows the road being closed south of the A830.

_90842621_fatalrtc_cyclist_a82_dx1_2829copy.jpg

However, the description of the locus in the report is "north of the roundabout junction with the A830" so that's why I had put it at the BP station.

A82 A830.jpg

GC

Top Bottom