Cyclist down ( again ) This one's a bit more shocking ( for me )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
That's a long list of nasty injuries. I hope he recovers well.
Apparently he was riding on the aero bars, on a TT bike ( without Di2 )training for a triathlon, and a van pulled out, the driver didn't see him, and he went straight through the side window, at full chat, without getting to the brakes:eek:. Hence the severity of the injuries. The paper reported that it was a car, but I believe it was actually a van.

fimm

Veteran
Oooooh nasty. As someone who also does triathlons, and rides a TT bike - yes it does take that extra movement to get to the brakes and I am wary when riding in built up areas and don't go onto the bars much if at all - but equally if you want to train on such a bike you have to train on the bars and there's always the balance between making progress and being wary. It might be that even if he'd been on a road bike on the drops he wouldn't have been able to stop in time.
I apologise if this appears to be inappropriate speculation - I intend it to be more a personal reaction. Best wishes to your colleague.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Oooooh nasty. As someone who also does triathlons, and rides a TT bike - yes it does take that extra movement to get to the brakes and I am wary when riding in built up areas and don't go onto the bars much if at all - but equally if you want to train on such a bike you have to train on the bars and there's always the balance between making progress and being wary. It might be that even if he'd been on a road bike on the drops he wouldn't have been able to stop in time.
I apologise if this appears to be inappropriate speculation - I intend it to be more a personal reaction. Best wishes to your colleague.

That's fine, I'm not 100 percent sure of all of the facts myself. It looks as though he's through the critical period so far, it's going to be a heck of a thing to recover from. All the guys at work have signed a get well soon card, and we are going to give it to his wife to look after.

Top Bottom