Cyclist down at Hampton Court: me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rest up and heal quickly. Will the car driver cough up for the repairs with no bother, do you think?
Yup, I really think so. She has behaved in an exemplary manner up until now. She made a statement to the police that has put her in danger of a careless driving (is that the right name?) charge. I also told her if I had a claim, I'd pass it to her directly so she could decide what do to. She was never anything but concerned and apologetic.

I hope everyone is lucky enough to be knocked down by such a sweet person. :smile:

Crankarm

Guru
So are the plods going to prosecute the driver? Probably not "It was only a cyclist."

GWS.

So are the plods going to prosecute the driver? Probably not "It was only a cyclist."

GWS.

Not sure. The driver fully admitted to her mistake in her statement. The police told me that they told her that she may be charged with driving without due care and attention (I think) but that was not up to the officer at the scene but the traffic police.

This is probably the opposite to "only a cyclist". If she had made the same mistake with a car, the police would not have been called, and I think there would be about zero percent chance she'd be charged with anything.

Guess she looked at me when I was intending to go into the roundabout without stopping, looked at the roundabout to judge if it was safe to enter and proceeded through the point I should have long been gone from. Yes, a mistake. Yes, her fault. But from my point of view understandable.

I am absolutely sure she is shocked and sorry for what she has done. It wasn't with a disregard for me as a cyclist or lack of awareness of my presence. I am also absolutely sure she will be a better driver from now on. So fine and points, I really don't care.

Sad thing is, she was coming back from the gym. She should have been cycling, but I suspect after what happened, she's even less likely to consider cycling a safe option.

And me: Wednesday I cycled my slightly bent bike to the shop for checks and repairs. They didn't have the right mech hanger in stock, so on Thursday I rode into London to pick one up (30 mile round trip on my folder). So I guess I am ok.

Edit: Form letter arrived from Traffic Prosecutions Service. "here's your incident number... please don't bother us for next two weeks"

Last edited:
Got my final letter from the police. No action.

Turns out I am a little bit disappointed by this. The default seems to be £100 FPN and 3 points for driving without due care and attention. This seems not unreasonable, as she was doing that, and it's only 2 tanks for fuel. If she accumulates no more points, then the 3 points does her no harm, and if she does get more points, then maybe she shouldn't be driving.

I haven't sent my (small) bill to her yet. I'll update when I do.

thanks again for the warm wishes!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

I'd ask them why not.

It seems a reasonable requirement of granting her a licence to drive that she doesn't make mistakes which cause injury to people and damage to property, without submitting to some sort of penalty.
GC

vickster

Legendary Member

Turns out I am a little bit disappointed by this. The default seems to be £100 FPN and 3 points for driving without due care and attention. This seems not unreasonable, as she was doing that, and it's only 2 tanks for fuel. If she accumulates no more points, then the 3 points does her no harm, and if she does get more points, then maybe she shouldn't be driving.

I haven't sent my (small) bill to her yet. I'll update when I do.

thanks again for the warm wishes!

No action was taken by the police either in my accident, which is fine by me as I am a firm believer that accidents happen and in no way did he mean this to happen. I was involved in an accident years ago with a motor cyclist in which he was injured and wrote off my car. Unfortunately, said motorcyclist was riding without insurance or a licence and was prosecuted while I was not. He may have been an illegal immigrant as no one could track him down for a while!

I think driving without due care goes to court, not just a standard penalty spat out as per a traffic light or speed camera I believe. In my letter it states that the driver has been written to and reminded of their responsibilities as a road user, to drive safely and comply with road traffic law.

Took the police 2 months to get back to me, but I had to inform them of my injuries and treatment and provide a full written statement etc

The driver in my case will be punished by his insurance company. Has your driver even informed hers of the accident - which she is required to do, even if there is no claim?

Last edited:
I got rear ended again yesterday, at another roundabout. Folder this time, and she and I both seem to be ok. 16" wheels are tough.

but it's made me a little nervous today :sad:

vickster

Legendary Member
I got rear ended again yesterday, at another roundabout. Folder this time, and she and I both seem to be ok. 16" wheels are tough.

but it's made me a little nervous today :sad:
:sad:

Fortunately, only one of us is (sort of) off the bike due to injury...I'm buying cake on Saturday when I (sort of) ignore doctor's orders!

Top Bottom