Cyclist down in Leeds City Centre - Thurs 1 Oct 9am

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
This morning I passed a rider on the road at Victoria Road (at the Manor Road junction). It's the point where the bus lane ends just after Bewley's hotel on Victoria Road / A653.

She's come out of the bus lane into traffic; it's a dangerous point and cars pull left easily: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7900111,-1.5472276,3a,75y,257.7h,62.95t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1szlgWbVVbzvMZdjtpbEiuVg!2e0!6s//geo2.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=zlgWbVVbzvMZdjtpbEiuVg&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=128.10367&pitch=0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Police and ambulance there, people with her. I've it on video but won't post here.

GWS.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I hope she is up and about soon.

Reactions: mjr

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
That's on my way home (up Hunslet Rd, around past the Dalek and down Water La). The hours I work I've never had to tackle it in rush hour, and I don't think I'd have the balls to. Hope the injured cyclist comes out of it ok.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I hope she's OK.

She's come out of the bus lane into traffic; it's a dangerous point and cars pull left easily
Do you mean she's ridden into the back of traffic ahead, or just continued forwards in the same lane past the point it ceased being a bus lane and gotten side-swiped by someone moving from the lane to its right, or something else?

OP
OP
DCLane

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Do you mean she's ridden into the back of traffic ahead, or just continued forwards in the same lane past the point it ceased being a bus lane and gotten side-swiped by someone moving from the lane to its right, or something else?

This. Cars come from the right, don't see a bike and turn left or pull into the LH lane.

I've had a lot of near-misses at that point.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What's the solution to that problem with that sort of layout? Would continuing the red as a cycle lane for a bit help, or does it need a more radical rethink? Or is it simply a need for traffic policing and ideally unmarked police bikes to catch the careless motorists?

Top Bottom