Cyclist down in Middlesbrough

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abo

Fatally unfortunately :sad: Got a call from my wife who'd seen the aftermath. Apparently he'd been struck by a council lorry right by where she works. She didn't see what happened but from her description of where the poor cyclist was it sounds like they went up the inside and the lorry turned left... More tragedy :sad:

Parrot of Doom

I remember very powerful public campaigns against all manner of things. Not going off with strangers, not playing with matches, not throwing frisbees at pylons, not running across train tracks.

So why aren't there any campaigns to highlight the dangers inherent in undertaking large vehicles?

OP
OP
abo

abo

Confirmed in my local paper. After speaking to my wife at home I'm not sure the lorry did turn left on the guy, she said she thought the lorry was pointing pretty straight on in the junction so she's not sure what did happen.

The police were only chatting to the lorry driver and not arresting, don't know if that is any indication.

quidditys_shore

only just found out in the gazette myself what had happened.

its just around the corner from me. was coming home about 4:30 & the road was closed off alot further down. ended up coming out just on the crossroads but all that i could see was the council rubbish van stopped just after turning right, heading towards grangetown (& lots of police)
my brother had just finished work at the school near it too & passed just after it happened, but didnt see anything

it did scare me a bit as i've got a brother who has a girlfriend nearby, the other that works nearby & my sisters fiancee who was at his sisters but leaving around that time to meet my sister.
i know now my wife will be worrying about me when i get on my bike again tomorrow

thoughts go out to the guys family

Confirmed in my local paper. After speaking to my wife at home I'm not sure the lorry did turn left on the guy, she said she thought the lorry was pointing pretty straight on in the junction so she's not sure what did happen.

The police were only chatting to the lorry driver and not arresting, don't know if that is any indication.

Yes it is. Presuming we felt the lorry driver was in any way the cause, he'd at the very least be asked to give a voluntary account on tape. If we only spoke to him at scene, and just 'chatted' more likely hes a witness to whatever happened.

Thoughts with the family.

OP
OP
abo

abo

i know now my wife will be worrying about me when i get on my bike again tomorrow

thoughts go out to the guys family

Tell me about it, my wife works at the doctor's there and was at the scene before the emergency services. I've had the 'please be careful' thing already. Understandable I guess

OP
OP
abo

abo

[QUOTE 1544395"]
It was a bus according to the article.
[/quote]

It was a council rubbish lorry involved, according to my OH

Looks like it was a bus, the council lorry was incidental.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/t...list-dies-in-eston-road-smash-84229-29426978/

Picture on the second page suggests the collision occurred as the bus was turning right so it either left hooked him, or he went up the inside...

Sorry, but if a bus is turning right, how can it left hook someone?

Top Bottom