Cyclist hit by car in Cambridge - video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sad thing is the way the driver seems preoccupied with trying to point out that the cyclist did something wrong ...................

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/WAT...nt-blackspot/story-29186873-detail/story.html
Bike rider with no Hi Viz, in fact wearing dark clothing, dark wet night, poorly lit road. That was never going to end well. I feel sorry for the driver, and the cyclist on this one.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Nice victim blaming there. I could see the cyclist from the dash cam car's POV, which is some way back.

Yes, i could also see the rider in the clip BUT we were not driving the car that hit him, nor were we there at the actual scene of the incident. We do not know the full circumstances of the actual incident , the footage clearly shows it was wet, dark and fairly poor street lighting, if I was to hazard a guess i would say the driver was to blame for not having seen the cyclist which imo would point to undue care and attention on the part of the car driver. The cyclist had right of way, the driver did not attempt to stop at the give way markings and his brake lights did not come on until after he had hit the cyclist................imo 100% driver fault.
edit; I contradicted myself

Here we go again ...
What? If I was the driver, in those circumstances, in those conditions, I reckon a dark clad rider, coming from an oblique angle ( due to the position he was in, due in no small part to the poor design of the roundabout ) I reckon I'd have had a job to see him clearly. The view from the dash cam is totally irrelevant.

[QUOTE 4254905, member: 9609"]Full marks to the ambulance service for the quick response.[/QUOTE]
I'm guessing that they were nearby, and were there nice and promptly as a result.

What? If I was the driver, in those circumstances, in those conditions, I reckon a dark clad rider, coming from an oblique angle ( due to the position he was in, due in no small part to the poor design of the roundabout ) I reckon I'd have had a job to see him clearly. The view from the dash cam is totally irrelevant.
Is your eyesight worse than a £200 camera at making things out. Should you be driving?

Yes, i could also see the rider in the clip BUT we were not driving the car that hit him, nor were we there at the actual scene of the incident. We do not know the full circumstances of the actual incident , the footage clearly shows it was wet, dark and fairly poor street lighting, if I was to hazard a guess i would say the driver was to blame for not having seen the cyclist which imo would point to undue care and attention on the part of the car driver. The cyclist had right of way, the driver did not attempt to stop at the give way markings and his brake lights did not come on until after he had hit the cyclist................imo 100% driver fault.
edit; I contradicted myself
Technically / legally speaking you're correct, lack of due care and attention from the driver. However, in those conditions, I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes.

steve50

Disenchanted Member
Technically / legally speaking you're correct, lack of due care and attention from the driver. However, in those conditions, I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes.

I agree with you about the conditions etc but the driver should have at least dabbed the brakes at the give way and taken a cursory glance to his right, he didn't and that was the end result.

Why? It's a reasonable question. You suggest a camera which clearly shows the cyclist in a situation that you don't think you could. Maybe this time an answer?
Top trolling again. The position of the camera is not at the same oblique angle to the rider as the car. You're comparing apples to pineapples.

Top Bottom